As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Re:a4 drum machine sounds cut off.. (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:a4 drum machine sounds cut off..
Killer Beez
monomachine mk2, Analog 4, boss dr110
a4 drum machine sounds cut off.. 11 Years, 2 Months ago
i am, everyday, amazed at how great the a4 is at drums and of course analog synth sounds
best elektron yet IMHO
but why is another plocked mangled sound on the same track sometimes cutting off say a 4 to the floorkick drum
too many filter locks?
btw - is the a4 the greatest synth ever produced?
  The topic has been locked.
Re:a4 drum machine sounds cut off.. 11 Years, 2 Months ago
Each track is monophonic.
Killer Beez
monomachine mk2, Analog 4, boss dr110
yes of course, what is happening is this: bd 1,5,9,13, plocked and mangled bleep bass 3, next preset lead say on 7 BUT the plocked sounds seem to cut off or dampen the BDs
I would think the next bd trig would cut off the bass note
maybe this is user error or just some sort of analog randomness
anyone else
Goomba
I have the same problem here, and I guess the filter doesn't have time to get into auto-oscillation between the p-locked sound and the bassdrum on the track... juste an idea, if you use the filter to get the kick, of course.

Other possibility : when I add some noise to the kick (self oscillating filter) to get some more "accoustic" sound, the behaviour is quite random, and 1 kick every 5 to 8 trigs is dampen on a 4/4 bar. Does it come from the randomness of the noise ?

Finally, sometimes when I add a triangle osc to the kick, it's also random, but I think this is caused by a phase cancellation, and depending on the frequencies of the filter and osc signal, you can tweak it to get it right.

My two cents
Game & Watch
takadoum wrote:
I have the same problem here, and I guess the filter doesn't have time to get into auto-oscillation between the p-locked sound and the bassdrum on the track... juste an idea, if you use the filter to get the kick, of course.

Other possibility : when I add some noise to the kick (self oscillating filter) to get some more "accoustic" sound, the behaviour is quite random, and 1 kick every 5 to 8 trigs is dampen on a 4/4 bar. Does it come from the randomness of the noise ?

Finally, sometimes when I add a triangle osc to the kick, it's also random, but I think this is caused by a phase cancellation, and depending on the frequencies of the filter and osc signal, you can tweak it to get it right.

My two cents

I found the same stuff...to solve it I use a triggerless trigg with a self-osc filter before each kick step...it works about 80% of the time though sometimes reducing the amp EG release/decay and setting it to retrigg from zero level helps, but it´s a very weird oscillating filter for sure, very different to any other analog filter I own or owned (and I tried a lot)
I realized I think the reason I never had this problem was I was using some osc signal in the programming of the kicks. This must give the filter what it needs to kick into self-oscillation fast enough on each step, even after switching patches.
Game & Watch
Yes this behaviour is puzzling and a little annoying, first day I got mine I emailed HQ about it and they said it is the way it is, no bug.

As heckadecimal said with an osc going to filter it does not seem to happen, it could be worth trying a very narrow pulse at low tuning or perhaps a very short noise blast to see if it helps the filter get into oscillation with minimal affect on the actual sound.
Goomba
Re:a4 drum machine sounds cut off.. 11 Years, 1 Month ago
heckadecimal wrote:
I realized I think the reason I never had this problem was I was using some osc signal in the programming of the kicks. This must give the filter what it needs to kick into self-oscillation fast enough on each step, even after switching patches.

is this still the only solution (other than using multiple tracks)?
Go to top Post Reply