As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Sandbox MDUW: Possible To Side-Chain Gate? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: MDUW: Possible To Side-Chain Gate?
Goomba
MDUW: Possible To Side-Chain Gate? 11 Years, 8 Months ago
I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere and I missed it...

I would like to feed a signal into Input A, into a gate which is triggered by another signal fed into Input B. I don't see a way to do this with the GA/B or the EA/B machines as they cannot be triggered, at least, not more than once and once triggered they're always open. FA/B machines can be triggered - so I could trigger the filter on Input A from the audio fed into Input B, but I don't want a filter. I simply want to trigger a gate to open and have some way of setting its decay.

Anyone know if this is possible?

Thinking about it, I think this could be done by simultaneously triggering Ram R1/P1 machines but I just gotta think there is a less complicated way.

Any clues - TIA!

- Elliot
  The topic has been locked.
Game & Watch
Re:MDUW: Possible To Side-Chain Gate? 11 Years, 8 Months ago
If you don't want a filter just open it then no filtering should occur.

You could also try the trig input settings in the global menu?

Did you try using trig pos in kit?

If you give a more detailed outline of what you are trying to achieve I might be able to think of something.

R1/P1 sounds like it will work?
Goomba
Sorry for my unclear description.

I want to feed a signal into MDUW Input A. Let's say it's a sine wave that sustains indefinitely.

I only want to hear that sine wave upon triggering it with a signal fed into MDUW Input B. Let's say it's a kick drum playing quarter notes.

When the kick drum plays I want to hear the sine wave. When the kick drum doesn't play I don't want to hear the sine wave. If this could be done with a gate I could theoretically control Hold or Decay times for the gate to produce a sine wave bass line which has the same quarter note pattern as the kick drum.

I realize I could program a pattern, but I really want a live musician to be feeding the trigger signal so the bass line might not be a fixed pattern (as if I had sequenced it) but more interactive and dynamic by following a live input from a human playing in real time.

Hopefully this makes more sense.

Again, TIA for anyone who might help point me in the right direction.

- Elliot
Game & Watch
Hmm, never tried this but have a look at page 63 in the manual where it describes how to set the inputs as triggers, give that a try and let us know how you get on.
King Koopa
The trigger section described by dareanger will do what you want.

Completely forgot the MD had this ability, you could even use it to trigger an LFO that ducks the volume of a specified track (side chain gain reduction).
King Koopa
www.soundcloud.ch/opuswerk
www.opuswerk.ch

Kit:
MD MKII UW
Vermona MonoLancet
Vermona Retroverb MKI
uWave XT
MKS70
Strymon El Capistan
NI Maschine
Completely forgot the MD had this ability, you could even use it to trigger an LFO that ducks the volume of a specified track (side chain gain reduction).

I use that trick quite often. It can produce a nasty click at times though.
King Koopa
Yeah, you'll need to high pass the track you're ducking to avoid clicks.

The LFOs are a little too steep on the machinedrum and lack smoothing.

Best to program in volume changes on bass tracks manually.
Goomba
Thanks for the input guys. Pre-programming kinda defeats what I'm trying to do - I really want the signal I'm feeding into the MD (my bass) to be triggered by my drummer's kick drum so we can keep things live and spontaneous.

Since the MD Gate targets a single machine, which machine should I choose to be feeding my bass through? As I wrote in my initial post, the only Input Machine that can be triggered multiple times. The others are triggered once and then stay open.

Is the suggestion that I could use the EA Machine and then use the Trigger to control an LFO?

I've had great results triggering a synth drone note in time with a kick drum but now that I'm playing bass the notes can change...I just need to figure out how to get the bass notes I'm playing to be triggered on and off with the kick drum.

Perhaps I'll have to trigger a MIDI Machine and use that to trigger the VCA on my MiniMoog Voyager with the bass plugged in there...but I'd like to keep the amount of gear I have to bring to a gig to a minimum.

Thanks again for the input so far and any further insights.

- Elliot
Go to top Post Reply