As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Re:OT Pickup Machine (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:OT Pickup Machine
Boo
0ctatrack,Analog Four, Machinedrum mkII, Nord Electro 3,
http://soundcloud.com/spektahgadjo
Re:OT Pickup Machine 11 Years, 10 Months ago
sonyeon wrote:
the dreammer wrote:
Hector was fun...

we need hector again

Hector's the man!

"hmm kinda ordinary sounding"
  The topic has been locked.
Boo
Having no Midi Pedal, ive thus abandoned my guitar,

However having great fun sampling My Mpc playing and keyboard,
And since the machines are either side of the OT im just directly pressing the buttons on the OT and playing at the same time,
Works for me
Hammer Bro
www.soundcloud.com/highsage
Detroit Techno, from Vinyl to Live Performances and everything in between. Elektron Fanatic.
earlier there was minor debate on whether the OT makes for a great drum machine or not.
I will happily volunteer my own experience: It is on par with, and in many areas even surpasses, the MD. And no I'm not talking about beat loops (those this is pure awesomeness as well for integrating sampled slices into your beat). I'm talking about trigged hits, as an 8 part drum machine. The microtiming alone will get you up to 1/768th note resolution if desired. The Fader alone for scene manipulation of your beat, FX and filter movements, etc. it also superior to any other drum machine ergo/workflow I've ever used. The type and sheer number of FX available for your parts is perfectly suited for drum machine duties, and the workflow/structure of the entire octatrack is also perfectly suited. I'm currently using my for tons of drum machine duties, and have sampled my 909 and modded 606 into the OT if only to get even more technical functionality out of those hits. Heck just the fact that the patt lengths can all be different alone is superior to most drum machines. OK, I'll stop here, but seriously, the OT makes for the most bad ass drum machine I've personally ever used, and I think I've used quite a few as most of you know already.

May I ask...since tonight is the first night since getting back from Movement that I've loaded up 1.2 and am checking into using the pickup machines as transition tools for my OT + MD liveset... any one have any lessons learned here or suggestions / approaches? I've read the entire 1.2 pdf a few times over now and my OT is currently copying my existing Project over to a new Set (badass new feature) so that I can play with this new (hopefully) workflow free of guilt or worry.
MK7
Killer Beez
Interesting statement
Chain Chomp
Glitch.. yawn.
Quick question: Anyone know if it's possible to use the Metronome click as a count in for the Pick up track? I can't move my hands fast enough to start it hit the first note correctly.
Boo
electrolegs wrote:
Quick question: Anyone know if it's possible to use the Metronome click as a count in for the Pick up track? I can't move my hands fast enough to start it hit the first note correctly.

Not sure, but you can program a very simple beat,
then set up the pick up track to start at the start of the loop instead of instantly
so if you start the loop, you then have time to be ready to play
which will be recorded the next time the loop restarts
Chain Chomp
MDUW/MD/MONO
SURROGATES on DVD now!
Finally got around to updating the OT.

While i don't love the Pickup machine, I LOVE all the things that came with it. Elektron pretty much solved all of my quibbles i've had with the OT since day 1. Being able to track up/down, mute and cue tracks hands free is excellent and Quantized recording is what i've wanted from day one. this is now the greatest guitar mangler ever.

I tend to like very abused and time stretched sampling so the Pickup machine doesn't really do it for me...i'd rather use the Flex for this. both are cool though.
Hammer Bro
Re:OT Pickup Machine 11 Years, 9 Months ago
While Elektron makes AMAZING MACHINES the manuals need some serious help. Laymans terms would not only help with the OT but sell more quality machines... And yes the vids are stepping stones but if you advertise as a sampler, do we need lessons in how to operate a spaceship before we can sample? :laugh
Boo
Gadjo wrote:
electrolegs wrote:

Not sure, but you can program a very simple beat,
then set up the pick up track to start at the start of the loop instead of instantly
so if you start the loop, you then have time to be ready to play
which will be recorded the next time the loop restarts

Can you please clarify?
Cappy
tofu wrote:

Can you please clarify?

There are a few ways to do this. No the OT does not have a metronome pre-roll function. But if you are using a midi pedal (even if you're not) its an easy thing to create. You will use a sampled loop rather than using the system metronome.

Set track 1 of the OT to a static machine, and load in any beat sample that will serve as your metronome/pre-roll. This track should be a 16/16 length. This will give you a 16 step pre-roll.

Set track 2 of the OT to a pickup machine, settings as you desire.

Start the OT main sequencer playing, and obviously the track 1 sample will begin to play. At any time you like, in time with the beat (a good time might be on the downbeat of the 17th step, as the track one sample loops around), hit rec 1/2 on your track 2 PU machine. Now the PU machine will record until you either hit stop, or for the duration of the length that you pre-set for that machine.

Now if you like, mute track one.

Done.
Go to top Post Reply