As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Re:Octatrack, Multiple samples on 1 track (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:Octatrack, Multiple samples on 1 track
King Koopa
Re:Octatrack, Multiple samples on 1 track 11 Years, 11 Months ago
kraftf wrote:
Big Bang wrote:
kraftf wrote:
Believe me I know the midi side of OT inside out

Do you?

smkmchn asked:
what is the deal with triggering samples from that track on an external midi controller?

you replied:
Unfortunately there is no hacking in this issue. No hidden CC's or something. You just can't trig slices and slots by using midi.

He wasn't even asking if you could trigger slices or slots externally. He was asking if you could trigger SAMPLES (those pieces of audio that go into the slots) from the TRACKS externally- which have the samples, that can be accessed by pressing trig keys AND external controllers.

You made it sound like there was no way to trigger 'sounds' in general externally and that's why I jumped in and corrected you.

Definitely a boomerang. Here it comes.

Hahaha.. That was a good one!!
If SMKMCHN is reading this post I bet he's having a great time. Maybe you should drop him a PM and ask him what he meant by his post.
Anyway where did you find this phrase:
"what is the deal with triggering samples from that track on an external midi controller?"
And you still think you corrected me. Hilarious!!!!
Hahahaha.....

4th post.

Re:Octatrack, Multiple samples on 1 track 4 Days, 6 Hours ago
i've been able to get different samples on different trigs as you explained above.

i can't seem to fire them besides on the OT via the trig buttons.

what is the deal with triggering samples from that track on an external midi controller?

you replied:
Unfortunately there is no hacking in this issue. No hidden CC's or something. You just can't trig slices and slots by using midi.
  The topic has been locked.
Chain Chomp
Big Bang wrote:

4th post.

Re:Octatrack, Multiple samples on 1 track 4 Days, 6 Hours ago
i've been able to get different samples on different trigs as you explained above.

i can't seem to fire them besides on the OT via the trig buttons.

you replied:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What else can I say the guy is clearly talking about
FIRING DIFFERENT SAMPLES ON THE SAME TRACK. OPEN YOUR EYES AND READ!!!!!!!!!!
Unless you can't read.
As he says he can LOCK DIFFERENT SAMPLES ON THE SAME TRACK BY PLAYING THEM LIVE IN OT USING THE SLOT MODE BUT NOT FROM MIIIIIIIDIIIIIIIII!!!!!!FOR GOD SAKE!
I don't know what's your level of command in English. But if indeed you have a good one or you are a native speaker then you should definately pay a visit to a therapist.
Goomba
Stop it! just stop it!
You are arguing over a slight difference in interpretation of a question from a guy who seems a million miles away from understanding the OT. Some more clarifications and precision would have prevented the misunderstanding, but it would also have been wasted on the OP.

Why can't we all just get along. ?? I ask?
Chain Chomp
køns wrote:
Stop it! just stop it!
You are arguing over a slight difference in interpretation of a question from a guy who seems a million miles away from understanding the OT. Some more clarifications and precision would have prevented the misunderstanding, but it would also have been wasted on the OP.

Why can't we all just get along. ?? I ask?

Well you are right, this is not a place to hold personal disputes.
However I cannot stand people that intervene in a thread without having anything substantial to say and even more they distort the topic.

The guy as you said maybe a million miles away from understanding OT but he spotted a missing feature which for me is crucial and I would like to see it implemented. What I really don't need is pointless attacks and advice about elementary features of OT which are completely irrelevant to the specific topic.
Goomba
Well I think 'bigbang' was saying the the same, but just didn't qualify his response thoroughly enough. ANYWAY.

It would be great to be able to fire off slices from external midi. But? How would this be organized? If one could assign midinotevelocity, for example, to slice#. Or would you sacrifice 'chromatic' and have midi note #'s fire different slice#'s (or for that matter different sample slots)-which would be okay for drums I guess. An option to choose which functionality?

Maybe the OT does this?(I don't actually as of yet use any external midi device with the OT): With the OT internal seq running and triggerless trigs running with a Plock to different samples/slices, will an external midi note fire off the currently (at that point in the seq) selected slot/slice #... This wold be a neat feature... One could tap on a keyboard and have the sample that is fired off, automatically change from note to note.
Chain Chomp
Now we are back in our issue.
I don't know which technical solution would be more suitable. Personally I don't care if its going to be a note on or a cc number that is going to handle the triggering of slices.(Or even sysex messages) I just need a solid midi solution.
Now one can trigger slices by using the corresponding midi note for a track and mess around with the start value. The problem lies in the fact that the response is not fast when sending CC no 17 responsible for the start parameter. It has already been discussed in another thread. Slots cannot be handled via midi at all.
NRPN imlpementation would come in handy as well I suppose. Or maybe the option of new three new dedicated midi channels along with the autochannel. One would be responsible for the slice triggering, one for the flex slots and one for the slice slots. There could also be a user option to turn them on or off. Using dedicated channels would be the most simple solution.
Goomba
NRPN would be IMHO a minefield... and CC messages are not 'note-on' messages so by midi serial processing nature there is no guarantee that the OT will respond to a CC message designating slice# before responding to a note-on message... (I can't find the thread where this was discussed?)... meaning that the note-on may be processed before the message telling it which slice to play...

On reflection the simplest would be, to be able to set each of the 8 tracks as either 'chromatic', 'slice' or 'slot' and then any external midi input will act accordingly. This could be done in the midi menu where each tracks midi channel is set...

Can anyone confirm how the OT reacts in this situation:
-----?(I don't actually as of yet use any external midi device with the OT): With the OT internal seq running and triggerless trigs running with a Plock to different samples/slices, will an external midi note fire off the currently (at that point in the seq) selected slot/slice #... This wold be a neat feature... One could tap on a keyboard and have the sample that is fired off, automatically change from note to note.-----
Chain Chomp
køns wrote:
NRPN would be IMHO a minefield... and CC messages are not 'note-on' messages so by midi serial processing nature there is no guarantee that the OT will respond to a CC message designating slice# before responding to a note-on message... (I can't find the thread where this was discussed?)... meaning that the note-on may be processed before the message telling it which slice to play...

On reflection the simplest would be, to be able to set each of the 8 tracks as either 'chromatic', 'slice' or 'slot' and then any external midi input will act accordingly. This could be done in the midi menu where each tracks midi channel is set...

Can anyone confirm how the OT reacts in this situation:
-----?(I don't actually as of yet use any external midi device with the OT): With the OT internal seq running and triggerless trigs running with a Plock to different samples/slices, will an external midi note fire off the currently (at that point in the seq) selected slot/slice #... This wold be a neat feature... One could tap on a keyboard and have the sample that is fired off, automatically change from note to note.-----

The technical difficulties are only known by the Electron team. Here we just speculate on what a solution would be.
What you are describing when plockin a sample to a trigless trig is not working and would not either be a solution. It involves programming not pure live playing. We only need what is already implemented in OT hardware to be able to handle it outside OT with a midi controller. Simple as that.
Also in terms of live playing a velocity to definable volume p-locking would be also welcomed.
Go to top Post Reply