As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Re:Octatrack, Multiple samples on 1 track (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:Octatrack, Multiple samples on 1 track
Cappy
Re:Octatrack, Multiple samples on 1 track 11 Years, 11 Months ago
external triggering of slice would be really cool
  The topic has been locked.
Goomba
I like this thread!
Why, you ask.
It has so much 'lose' it must be a Liverpool fan, just like me and misery loves company
i was a bit harsh this morning.

it's a great machine and sounds amazing. maybe when my situation is different i'll get one.

not excited to send it back at all, but i was going to use it for drums, so the Machinedrum is on the list. i think they make great stuff. this just didn't work out for me unfortunately.
Chain Chomp
Big Bang wrote:
kraftf wrote:
Unfortunately there is no hacking in this issue. No hidden CC's or something. You just can't trig slices and slots by using midi. And yes I agree, this feature is fundamental and should have been there from the start.
No 1 FR for me and probably it's not coming in with the next update

Here we have an example of someone who has no idea what they're talking about.

Not only does it mention that this can be done in the manual...-I just did it to confirm it.

To clarify...I just connected my MPC 5000 to my Octatrack, and played samples on the OT (samples assigned to trigs), from the MPC pads. I'm not sure if this is ignorance on your part, or that you think you're keeping a 'secret' hoping no one will find out, but it's easily done. So easy in fact that I didn't even touch MIDI settings on the Octatrack-it was already set-up to receive correctly.

You're welcome.

You should try to focus more on what is being delivered through this thread.
For start you should know that samples are not assigned to trigs.They can be locked to trigs. Samples are assigned to slots. Slots are being accessed from tracks.
The question is if its possible to play via midi all slots(flex or static) in a track which is clearly not possible. It can be done from OT itself only.
Now its only possible to trig via midi only samples assigned to the slot that is loaded in a track in the current part and tracks that are disconnected from the sequencer.
Now tell me who has no idea about what they are talking about. Me or you?
If you want a drum machine, try a Machinedrum UW+. It has loads of tracks, excellent sequencing, synthesis and sample twisting capabilities. I think too many people bought a Octatrack because it was the latest hot thing when they should have got a Machinedrum instead.
Chain Chomp
No personally I don't need a machinedrum. I already got my drums sorted out.
I need to be able to access all the samples/slices loaded inside OT from different midi sources(pads, keyboards,sequencers etc..) and also record in the sequencer the external performance.
I love OT very much but this limitation is just getting on my nerves.However I believe it will be implemented finally. I just don't see it coming in this update.
King Koopa
kraftf wrote:
Big Bang wrote:
kraftf wrote:
Unfortunately there is no hacking in this issue. No hidden CC's or something. You just can't trig slices and slots by using midi. And yes I agree, this feature is fundamental and should have been there from the start.
No 1 FR for me and probably it's not coming in with the next update

Here we have an example of someone who has no idea what they're talking about.

Not only does it mention that this can be done in the manual...-I just did it to confirm it.

To clarify...I just connected my MPC 5000 to my Octatrack, and played samples on the OT (samples assigned to trigs), from the MPC pads. I'm not sure if this is ignorance on your part, or that you think you're keeping a 'secret' hoping no one will find out, but it's easily done. So easy in fact that I didn't even touch MIDI settings on the Octatrack-it was already set-up to receive correctly.

You're welcome.

You should try to focus more on what is being delivered through this thread.
For start you should know that samples are not assigned to trigs.They can be locked to trigs. Samples are assigned to slots. Slots are being accessed from tracks.
The question is if its possible to play via midi all slots(flex or static) in a track which is clearly not possible. It can be done from OT itself only.
Now its only possible to trig via midi only samples assigned to the slot that is loaded in a track in the current part and tracks that are disconnected from the sequencer.
Now tell me who has no idea about what they are talking about. Me or you?

However you describe it, you are triggering audio samples. Of course you have to fill the slots with samples to trigger them-we all know this. You made it sound like there is currently no way to trigger samples in the OT from an external controller. Currently, samples on tracks can be triggered externally. You can also switch between tracks and tracks can be muted-all from an external controller. I'm confident that Elektron will add deeper external MIDI control options in the future, but at least we have some external control right now.
Chain Chomp
Believe me I know the midi side of OT inside out and although English is not native for me I was accurate in my wording. I said:
"You just can't trig slices and slots by using midi."
I didn't say you can't trig samples via midi.
Read more carefully before deciding to blame someone for ignorance or else it becomes a boomerang.
King Koopa
kraftf wrote:
Believe me I know the midi side of OT inside out

Do you?

smkmchn asked:
what is the deal with triggering samples from that track on an external midi controller?

you replied:
Unfortunately there is no hacking in this issue. No hidden CC's or something. You just can't trig slices and slots by using midi.

He wasn't even asking if you could trigger slices or slots externally. He was asking if you could trigger SAMPLES (those pieces of audio that go into the slots) from the TRACKS externally- which have the samples, that can be accessed by pressing trig keys AND external controllers.

You made it sound like there was no way to trigger 'sounds' in general externally and that's why I jumped in and corrected you.

Definitely a boomerang. Here it comes.
Chain Chomp
Big Bang wrote:
kraftf wrote:
Believe me I know the midi side of OT inside out

Do you?

smkmchn asked:
what is the deal with triggering samples from that track on an external midi controller?

you replied:
Unfortunately there is no hacking in this issue. No hidden CC's or something. You just can't trig slices and slots by using midi.

He wasn't even asking if you could trigger slices or slots externally. He was asking if you could trigger SAMPLES (those pieces of audio that go into the slots) from the TRACKS externally- which have the samples, that can be accessed by pressing trig keys AND external controllers.

You made it sound like there was no way to trigger 'sounds' in general externally and that's why I jumped in and corrected you.

Definitely a boomerang. Here it comes.

Hahaha.. That was a good one!!
If SMKMCHN is reading this post I bet he's having a great time. Maybe you should drop him a PM and ask him what he meant by his post.
Anyway where did you find this phrase:
"what is the deal with triggering samples from that track on an external midi controller?"
And you still think you corrected me. Hilarious!!!!
Hahahaha.....
Go to top Post Reply