As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Re:Best complement for a MD: x0xb0x, ElectribeEA, MiniCommand? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:Best complement for a MD: x0xb0x, ElectribeEA, MiniCommand?
Cappy
Best complement for a MD: x0xb0x, ElectribeEA, MiniCommand? 11 Years, 11 Months ago
Which one would you say that's the best complement for a MDmkII (non UW)? I don't know very much about MiniCommand, but I'm afraid that i lose tons of time programming it. A x0xb0x and an EA are nice, and inmediate, good workflow. Which one do you think is funniest and fullfilling?
  The topic has been locked.
Boo
Re:Best complement for a MD: x0xb0x, ElectribeEA, MiniCommand? 11 Years, 11 Months ago
At the price EA1's go for, I'd try one first, unless you really want the 303/xoxbox sound.
Having said that, I have an EA1 and I'm gassing for a xoxbox.
Kong
mr. applehead
Re:Best complement for a MD: x0xb0x, ElectribeEA, MiniCommand? 11 Years, 11 Months ago
if you want to make acid, you gonna need a 303/xox
Game & Watch
MD UW+, OT, MnM UW+
dubathonic releases
fb
The MiniCommand is great, but many of its firmwares (so far at least) are made to take advantage of the UW's capabilities. If you don't have a UW model, the MD Notes firmware is great if you want to play chords and melodies by attaching a keyboard to play pitched percussion sounds...you can get some nice Rhodes piano and saw wave type melodies this way, plus basslines are easier to program. The Randomizer is good for exploring new sounds quickly, and the Euclid patch can give you ideas for rhythms. (You can do all of this without a MC, but it's faster with one.)

The EA is a sound generator and would probably be a good complement to the MD if you don't already have a synth. Electribes are limited in capability but are very easy to program and you could use the MD's input machines to filter the EA output, plus add some additional delay and reverb.

And yeah, if you like acid, you know what to do already
If you want more versatility than the 303 sound (I love it and have a x0x), I would go with one of the many midi controllable mono analogs that has come on the market in the past few years (several this year). Sequencing CCs using P-locks and LFOs from the MD is powerful stuff. With a x0x your modulations will be done via knob tweak. Great fun, but it depends on what else you have planned to be doing simultaneously.

Phatty
Minitaur
Midi SEM
Mopho
Evolver
Boomstar
Dark Energy
Pulse 2
so many more...

or

get some nice effects to rock out the individual out of the MD
Yoshi
Look at my stuff, and help me obtain my burger
Clips and videos
stinkybeat has a good point..
the elektribe-a does not do midi-cc .. but nprn messages.. so.. its nice
but no p-locks and all that from your md.. then again.. elektribe comes with its own version of plocks called "motion sequencer" ..

but yeah, a midicontrollable synth (as in CC-controllable) will be good fun..
Cappy
Good ideas

However i prefer that the synth has its own sequencer. I think i'll go for the x0x, because i can do acid and old techno with it (or an used monomachine...)
Boo
http://www.eowave.com/instruments.php?prod=77

I am getting this instead of the xoxbox. Nothing against the xoxbox but everyone has one and the ones you buy ready made look crap.
Hero of Winds
OP-1 and Ableton Live (everything else is waiting for studio renovations...which are slow since I'm doing it)
Go to top Post Reply