As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Re:Computer-Free Basslines: a Brainstorming Exercise (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:Computer-Free Basslines: a Brainstorming Exercise
Chain Chomp
Re:Computer-Free Basslines: a Brainstorming Exercise 12 Years ago
Yep a xox will not give you growling drum and bass sounds at all. It will give you acid.

Moog minataur or slim phatty, doepfer dark energy or the soon to be released Waldorf pulse 2 will do great bass. Id probably go Moog minataur if you don't have much synthesis experience.
  The topic has been locked.
King Koopa
mrsurga.tumblr.com
Thanks!
Chain Chomp
I'm looking to do a similar thing to Lite Shine Brite i.e. DnB subs, kicks and bass lines. Can anyone offer any insight into the Vermona Kick Lancet?

I use the OT and a V Synth XT so really just want something analog to provide the hefty bottom end. A friend I collaborate with has a Virus Ti so I don't necessarily need the layered, morphing basses a la Optical & Ed Rush, just a nice warm sub. I'm not keen on the XT's VA section and was liking the MDs TRX BDs but couldn't afford to keep the MD, hence the appeal of price of the Vermona.
From my experience DnB is much more about production and layering than gear used. Subs are often just plain sine waves or very filtered and low saws or pulses. Of course it has much to do with how solid the synth or sample sounds when played so low. I tend to reach for Monomachine or something else digital rather than Little Phatty or other analog synths very often when making sub basses.

The reeses (or whatever the snarly and screaming "mid basses" are called these days) are usually so processed that they might be hard to do merely on an analog synth. There's million and more threads about those in Dogs on Acid forum, where you really should be headed if you wan't to get technical. Just don't get lost there.

Of course, these things always come down to personal preference. I'm not saying that you shouldn't get your hands into something analog, quite the opposite. I love analog. You should really test it out before buying, though, and check out if you can achieve the kind of sounds with it that you're looking for.
Chain Chomp
Yeah I hear ya regarding the use of simple sines or LPF'ed saws etc as we'll occasionally layer them in with the more Reese'y (?) lines for more oomph.

I certainly wouldn't be using it to make the Reese style sounds as we can get what we want in that area from the Virus pretty quickly now. I should probably have mentioned that i've got half an eye on using it live, so the one knob per function could be nice for some tweakage etc.

And no, I wouldn't be buying it just 'cos it analog but more down to the fact that I often prefer subs to Reese's (to the point where I have to tell my co DnBer to cut 'em out!) and that it's pretty affordable. A test run would be ideal, i'll try hitting up Digital Village to see if that's possible as the You Tube vids are rubbish.

Thanks for the advice though and no, although i'm sure there are some useful bits on there, I just don't do DoA.
Goomba
I think DoA is a great site to lurk on. Hey, dudes, I'm really starting to think that Animoog ran into a Sherman Filterbank would be pimp shit for basslines when it comes to punch and versatility. Anyone w/ Filterbank experience care to share their thoughts on the prospect of going that route?
I have the filterbank 2 and one single word comes to mind: dirt. my dark energy screams, but coupled with the sherman it screams insanely. check out "FiltersweeperVCO" (or VCF or something like that) on youtube, he makes some pretty nice bass with a voyager and filterbank, and you can very much hear how the filterbank works
Go to top Post Reply