As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Science Labs Re:New OT Lab (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:New OT Lab
Re:New OT Lab 12 Years, 1 Month ago
Agreed, that's awesome Neil
  The topic has been locked.
Yes, I am on this

Crazy stuff Neil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers

Admittedly I've not done much on the OT for quite a while. In fact I was even an OS update behind! I was a bit rusty at first (took me 20 minutes to figure out how to have different scale lengths on each track LOL) but I found the interface is flowing a bit more now.

And I'd forgotten just how capable the OT is. This little sketch was all done just loading the white noise into a Flex machine on 6 tracks (I had one Neighbour track and Track 8 is Master with compressor and reverb). No (re)sampling done at all.

Most of the tricks were done with Comb Filter, Trigger Repeats and Distortion. Plus of course lots of the OT's great filters. Had a play about with the Delay Control mode but that wasn't so successful. It's cool when you get it right but I could never transition back into the programmed delay time without it sounding clumsy - would appreciate some tips there from anyone that's used that feature better.

Anyway, onwards! Get creating and learn a side of the OT that doesn't necessarily involve beats and time-stretching

Once this Lab is over I'll package up my Projects and upload them.

Got a few more ideas yet.
@Neil and mods: you should create a sticky topic in order to publish the submissions only...
EDIT: great starters BTW!!
Game & Watch
Agreed, a sticky would be good I often forget to peek in this subforum and maybe a heads up at the top might get more people involved.

For anyone reading who owns an OT, get involved, it is a really great way to explore the inner depths of the OT, and a nice diversion from perhaps what you'd usually do, no need to be shy, it is not a competition but an excercise of how you can work within a kind of brief, and the only 'goal' is to have fun in the process.

The limitation of using a single sample might seem too restrictive, but you may end up being surprised and delighted, have a listen to what Neil Baldwin has done and of the previous OT lab entries, its made of win I tell ye!
Chain Chomp
Every track here is made live using only the monomachine and the octatrack (no pc):
www.soundcloud.com/cutoph2
www.soundcloud.com/nobodyslistening
I would love to try this again, but my OT is going to sweden for repair (crossfader issue) I'll try this again once I get it back.

I've done this once for a white-noise competition from another forum (which gave me the idea to make it OT only here with elektron-users ). And you can check my old OT white-noise-only track here: http://soundcloud.com/phutil/30-noise
It's a bit long though and a bit rough

EDIT: Neil, your track is pure awesome good job
excellent work again Neil!!!!!!

Been having a blast on this and its totally shocking what you can achieve by resampling
Game & Watch
neilbaldwin wrote:
I'm coming atcha again!

http://soundcloud.com/neilbaldwin/sometimes-you-dont-see-it

All hail the Baldwin, fucking superb mate

Awesome.

Just finished a marathon Monotribe soldering session so hopefully I can get started on mine tonight or tomorrow night.
Cheers gents

It's interesting how much more oomph you can get out of the OT by hanging the compressor off Track 8 (on 'Plasticity') but I felt that the final mix just needed a little top-end EQ to give it some air. No cheating though!

So, on this second one, I swapped out the Compressor for EQ (on Track 8 as Master) but the difference in power between the two tracks is very apparent. OK, sonically they're different too but the RMS is way down on the second track.

The lesson? OT needs moaaaar FX! (or more flexible routing)

Go to top Post Reply