As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Science Labs MnM Bass Sound Design Guidance Please? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: MnM Bass Sound Design Guidance Please?
MnM Bass Sound Design Guidance Please? 12 Years, 3 Months ago
Hey all, been at it hard for a while now and really love how this machine has pushed me into a mode of focusing on sound design. It's a challenge but think I'm getting the hang of it. I've always been more of a traditional player and often write songs based around either guitar progressions, melodies or Bass lines played live and sequenced on my old Roland keyboards.
Just really stuck on shaping some great bass sounds. I've found cool tips in TlB and Takeriths tip teks like turning off key tracking, turning down distortion and working with slides.
I've recently been working on a song consisting of 9 patterns so far. I started with using the DPRO Wave no. 521 as a Bass. It sounded cool for a while, just didn't have enough low end and after listening over and over seemed a bit too in your face for bass- haha! So I set up another track with the DDRAW using sine waves and sequenced some trigs in places I wanted to give a bit of deep sub bass. I turned the key tacking off on both which gave much better low tones where I wanted, and they sound cool together, just still fails to be punchy, crisp and clean. I've compared this to similar Bass sounds from my old Roland and just doesn't seem anywhere close. One thing I'm dealing with is that I get popping noises alot with these, and have to adjust the EQ to get rid of them and lose some of the tone I'm looking for. Trying different speakers and how much the sound changes through headphones makes me freak out. I've tried routing to the compressor as well and it's hard telling if the sound has improved with it and had to sacrifice another track.
Any more suggestions for a good starting point? Maybe some links to posts I may have missed or good reads on sound design that would translate to the Elektron arena? Alot of you guys seem to know what's up so any advice greatly appreciated, thanks!
  The topic has been locked.
Re:MnM Bass Sound Design Guidance Please? 12 Years, 3 Months ago
Maybe try the amplification page. Little tweeks can do alot and it's worth wrighting down your formulars and saving your kit. The quickest way for me to get great bass is through the Sid machine however FM is and always will be the classic goto for bass. It is worth the effort.
Cappy
I always had nice bass when using the SWave pulse. I'll try and get a parameter setup list on here after I get back to my MNM after work.
Game & Watch
Without meaning to sound like an a-hole, what type of bass sound are you after?
Hey thanks for the replies! @ Redrum, yea good call, I have been writing down formulas and making several copies of kit variations. I've tried the FMs and they do work great for bass, will try the SID too, Thanks for that. @ sqr_face It's hard to explain without sending out examples of what I'm working on and trying to achieve. Don't wanna wreck it by putting out bits and pieces at a time tho. I see that the science labs forum has had different remix contests or workshops on sound design. I would love to get in on something like that. Maybe I'll see if thats an option.
I think maybe I was too stuck on working with the original machine selection on this. It had alot of the character I was looking for, just didn't stand the test of time. I have been able to get some killer basses with totally different styles. I think I may need to work on getting the sound shaped before getting too far ahead with the sequencing.
I've listened to alot of you guys recordings and see the potential, it'll get there I'm sure! It usually takes me a few months to build a song on my old machines anyway. Getting more speedy with the MnM and I'm obsessed!

@ darenager, yea you hurt my wittle feelings, haha!!! god I'm terrible at describing, but I'll try. I guess kinda a TB but with lots of low end and a little rumble like similar to some House music basses. I've used compression on similar and didn't seem to work right here, maybe I will record some bits and post them. thanks!
Cappy
Yo Rebar. Actually I've been the same with my project. Not wanting to get anything out there and being a bit of a perfectionist. I started on my project in November 2010. I've kinda realised that this is a bit lame, more than a years work and nothing out there to show for it.
So let's make a deal. This weekend we both put up something in the Your Music section (it would be my first time posting there).
In the end the community is here to help, and it's only Elektron enthusiasts so nothing to fear but good open critical feedback. What say you sir?
Game & Watch
Try a Superwave Saw, with sub, nice tight filter envelope, bit of lp resonance.
sqr_face wrote:
So let's make a deal. This weekend we both put up something in the Your Music section (it would be my first time posting there).
In the end the community is here to help, and it's only Elektron enthusiasts so nothing to fear but good open critical feedback. What say you sir?

Aw yea man, always down to make things happen! Free time fluctuates alot lately and got a couple days open now. Guitar play is a central part of the mix here, so that is always a challenge to get some good takes. Will keep posted fosho!
@ Darenager
Haven't tried that one yet, something to look forward to today, thanks man!
Go to top Post Reply