As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Octatrack - Moving banks/parts between projects? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Octatrack - Moving banks/parts between projects?
King Koopa
Soundcloud
Trinity SH101 Juno6 JX3P cs10 NM1 Z1 K5000s MB33II Ipad3 MicroQ TX81z DX200 WS/AD VZ8m XD5 DP4 Gtrz
Octatrack - Moving banks/parts between projects? 12 Years, 4 Months ago
I am really digging the new OS, and Elektron have made the file structure somewhat easier with being able to export projects between sets & making saving/reloading more obvious.
But its not yet perfect.

I have a gig coming up and have most of what I want to do in one project.
Unfortunately there is one track (4 patterns, 2 parts & about 8 scenes for each of those parts) I set up in another project which i would like to import into my live project.

I vaguely remember a post regarding hacking into the Octatrack files (which are broken down by bank/part etc) on here a while back whereby this might be made possible but I cant find it.

Before I start down this path blindly, wondering has anyone tried and had success doing this?
  The topic has been locked.
Killer Beez
Re:Octatrack - Moving banks/parts between projects? 12 Years, 4 Months ago
yea, this is a real PITA but it can be done. Heres's my approach.

1-open source project, collect all samples.
2-write down the names of all samples used in the bank for reference when reloading sample slots. You do not ned to make note of the machine type, the bank file stores this info.
3-"Save Sample Settings" for each sample in the Operations Menu
4-mount CF card on compter (Or use OT file manager but much slower with no multi-select)
5-copy the samples settings files and associated audio files to the destination project folder
6-copy the bank files (eg: bank01.strd, bank01.work) to the destination project folder
7-load the destination project and load the appropriate sample(s) for each track in the slots of your choice. If you have sample locks you would need to either load the samples to the same slots or redo your sample locks to reflect the new sample positions.

Presumably, if you have an arrangment you want to move you would copy the eg: arr01.strd file ets. I don't know exactly what the markers file is for, but I assume it globally stores the same info as is saved to the individual sample settings file (.ot) so hopefully that doesn't screw anything up because that is the one file that would be unable to merge into an existing project without a deep understanding of its contents...
Also it is ok to change the order of the banks by renaming the bank files.

(edit: pplease make a backup of your source and destination projects before doing this!)
King Koopa
Soundcloud
Trinity SH101 Juno6 JX3P cs10 NM1 Z1 K5000s MB33II Ipad3 MicroQ TX81z DX200 WS/AD VZ8m XD5 DP4 Gtrz
Thanks N_Rain.
Most of this makes sense. I am stuck at work for the day so can't try this until @ home.
I wonder though why do you need to collect the samples?
Both projects are part of the same set and use the same sample library.

I do wonder if I manually relink to the samples (they will have to live in different # slots on set project) then will they loose slice / loop / bpm behavior?
Cappy
Since it's a relatively small number of patterns and associated parts, you could also try to copy/paste them one at a time between the projects. It's just a matter of loading the project you want to copy from, doing a copy command on a single pattern or part, loading the project you want to copy to, select where you want to paste the object and do a paste command.
good to know this is possible. bit of a faff though. i do hope elektron add a bank copy feature soon. obviously various sticky issues to resolve, like what to do with samples that overlap with slots in the project you would be pasting the bank into, but got to be possible to resolve, somehow.

i've got all my tracks in separate projects, and i'm considering using a hardware looper like a redsound soundbite or kaoss pad and dj mixer to do transitions, as it seems like too epic a job to copy everything from lots of tracks into one project at present...
King Koopa
Soundcloud
nocturne wrote:
Since it's a relatively small number of patterns and associated parts, you could also try to copy/paste them one at a time between the projects. It's just a matter of loading the project you want to copy from, doing a copy command on a single pattern or part, loading the project you want to copy to, select where you want to paste the object and do a paste command.

Nocturne, this is possible? Great!
My fear though is that in copying a part, it will overwrite slots on the destination project.
I have maybe 20 free static slots in the live project and need to tread carefully.
Can you clarify what the OT behavior is in this regard to your experience?
Thanks!
bauer wrote:
hope elektron add a bank copy feature soon. obviously various sticky issues to resolve, like what to do with samples that overlap with slots in the project you would be pasting the bank into

Killer Beez
Ozone wrote:
Thanks N_Rain.
I wonder though why do you need to collect the samples?
Both projects are part of the same set and use the same sample library.
?

I guess my reasoning here is that it just makes it a lot easier to reload the samples from a single location, especially with the sample names being trunctuated in the slots it can be a pain to find them if you don't know exactly where they are. Also, you may not want to be leaving behind fixed sample settings for the source samples in your main audio pool.
Cappy
Good question about sample slots... I'm not sure what would happen when copying the parts without doing some testing...
Killer Beez
Pretty sure if you copy parts you end up with the parts using the existing sample slots so you still need to save the source sample settings file and load the samples into empty slots and point each track/sample lock to the appropriate slot.
A lot easier to copy over the entire bank file and then load the samples IMO.
Go to top Post Reply