As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear [OT] 64 Hit Samples for cutting up in OT - Post your own (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: [OT] 64 Hit Samples for cutting up in OT - Post your own
JES
King Koopa
Re:[OT] 64 Hit Samples for cutting up in OT - Post your own 10 Years, 12 Months ago
Maybe make this one a sticky?
  The topic has been locked.
Game & Watch
Re:[OT] 64 Hit Samples for cutting up in OT - Post your own 10 Years, 12 Months ago
lol re/ too many favourites.

what do you do when everything is a favourite?

hmmm...

well, sample chains fascinate me, the possibilities are endless, although i have to begin.
so, it is kind of like a journey that never happened but is incredibly rich and filled with adventure.

okay to remedy my lack of experience with the awesomeness that is sample chains,
i shall make a few to share and thus hopefully find the technique that works best via feedback..

please tell me the best format for two options

first option: let's say 64 one shots on one sample chain..

do i leave space. equal space as a division of the entire length multiplied by the bpm of the preparation, then count the number of individual one shots, multiply that by two, taking into account equal space being used by "silent samples" effectively doing nothing yet providing the valuable functionality of keeping everything clean and orderly?

yes, i know, i know, this is quite possibly an ultimately stupid question but it is exactly what i start wondering about every single time i think about makes sample chains, either to share, or for my own creative library of content.

second optional question:

how do i do this if i make a sample chain of loops? is it the same? any gotchas, hidden traps, special advice?

obviously it is diffcult when attempting the conceptualise everything theoretically and i most likely have thought too much.

anyway i would love to make some sample chains ... it's been 3 months now with the OT machine of mystery and the adventure is rich but i want more.
kln
Goomba
I have also been thinking about this. This is how I do it but Im not sure if its "the right way" of doing it or if its even a good way.
Anyway:
(This only applies to one shots, never tried it on loops.)
1) I use Ableton in arrangement view. Set up one track.

2) Go to finder (im on osX) and mark all the one shots you want in your sample chain. Preferably there should be 8, 16, 24, 32 and so on of one shots.
Mark all of the samples and drag them into Abletons arrangment view.
The will all line up one after each other.

3) Look for the longest sample shot and see how long it is. Figure out what time this sample will fit in to. Ex 1/16.

4) Then I delete all samples and adjust Abletons Editing Grid to that measure (1/16).

5) Then I once again drag the samples in to the track. This means that when I put all samples back into the track they will automatically adjust themselves at every 1/16 step. So all samples will have equal space between them.

6)I then mark that area and export it.
Done.

Loops would be a different thing I guess. You could to it the same way I guess but then you have to adjust the end-loop-point by hand in OT audio editor.

If I only have 15 samples I either double the last sample or add correct amount of time (1/16 in the example above)to the end in order to get 16 equal slices in OT.

previewlounge wrote:

hmmm...

well, sample chains fascinate me, the possibilities are endless, although i have to begin.
so, it is kind of like a journey that never happened but is incredibly rich and filled with adventure.

okay to remedy my lack of experience with the awesomeness that is sample chains,
i shall make a few to share and thus hopefully find the technique that works best via feedback..

please tell me the best format for two options

first option: let's say 64 one shots on one sample chain..

do i leave space. equal space as a division of the entire length multiplied by the bpm of the preparation, then count the number of individual one shots, multiply that by two, taking into account equal space being used by "silent samples" effectively doing nothing yet providing the valuable functionality of keeping everything clean and orderly?

yes, i know, i know, this is quite possibly an ultimately stupid question but it is exactly what i start wondering about every single time i think about makes sample chains, either to share, or for my own creative library of content.

second optional question:

how do i do this if i make a sample chain of loops? is it the same? any gotchas, hidden traps, special advice?

obviously it is diffcult when attempting the conceptualise everything theoretically and i most likely have thought too much.

anyway i would love to make some sample chains ... it's been 3 months now with the OT machine of mystery and the adventure is rich but i want more.
previewlounge wrote:

........ i most likely have thought too much.

Yep

The method KLN describes seems a good and fast way to get chains. Loops won't have to loop by setting up loop points since you can place triggers on the right amount of steps (equal as slice length so the slice will be triggered over and over again creating a loop. I've tested it and it's just that simple.

I have been thinking about creating sample chains with loops to create an Ableton launch clip experience. You link the chains to separate tracks. All slices have to be of the same length, but only per track. Place trigs on the tracks to start the slices. With a button controller you can set the slice to be played per track by sending CC17 with a value of 0 for slice 1, 1 for slice 2 and so on. I will test this with a Lemur template, but any midi controller with a matrix will do. Add some scenes, one shot triggers and other OT tricks and you get a very powerful live setup. If all succeeds and works well I'm thinking of buying a Livid CNTR-r to create a single interface for my gear.

Ronald
King Koopa
Octatrack
Nord Micro Modular
Shruthi-1
TX81Z
MPC1000
previewlounge wrote:

hmmm...

Haha, I know. I need to trim it down. There are so many juicy nuggets from threads that I don't want to forget (shortcuts, tips, tricks) and now the pile of them I've made is collapsing on itself.

REOvolt wrote:

I have been thinking about creating sample chains with loops to create an Ableton launch clip experience. You link the chains to separate tracks. All slices have to be of the same length, but only per track. Place trigs on the tracks to start the slices. With a button controller you can set the slice to be played per track by sending CC17 with a value of 0 for slice 1, 1 for slice 2 and so on.

Cool idea, and you could use scenes to switch these slices too - of course then you'd be switching all the slices of the pattern at once. This trick would be handy combined with Biologik's method for switching individual infinite-release Plays Free tracks, and possibly some live sampling.
King Koopa
Re:[OT] 64 Hit Samples for cutting up in OT - Post your own 10 Years, 11 Months ago
just a heads up -- the new loopmasters pack in the elektron shop includes premade chains. I haven't bought it, so can't vouch for the samples, but figured it would be useful for some folks.

it's promising to see them start doing this, hopefully other sample pack makers will take notice and start to follow suit. also makes me hopeful that elektron will figure out a way to integrate chain making on the OT with a future OS update.
Game & Watch
Re:[OT] 64 Hit Samples for cutting up in OT - Post your own 10 Years, 11 Months ago
kln wrote:
I have also been thinking about this. This is how I do it but Im not sure if its "the right way" of doing it or if its even a good way.
Anyway:
(This only applies to one shots, never tried it on loops.)
1) I use Ableton in arrangement view. Set up one track.

2) Go to finder (im on osX) and mark all the one shots you want in your sample chain. Preferably there should be 8, 16, 24, 32 and so on of one shots.
Mark all of the samples and drag them into Abletons arrangment view.
The will all line up one after each other.

3) Look for the longest sample shot and see how long it is. Figure out what time this sample will fit in to. Ex 1/16.

4) Then I delete all samples and adjust Abletons Editing Grid to that measure (1/16).

5) Then I once again drag the samples in to the track. This means that when I put all samples back into the track they will automatically adjust themselves at every 1/16 step. So all samples will have equal space between them.

6)I then mark that area and export it.
Done.

Loops would be a different thing I guess. You could to it the same way I guess but then you have to adjust the end-loop-point by hand in OT audio editor.

If I only have 15 samples I either double the last sample or add correct amount of time (1/16 in the example above)to the end in order to get 16 equal slices in OT.

very cool.
i am now officially going to stop thinking to much and start achieving sample chain adventures.
i have made some simple console app to merge wav files into a chain.

use it from the command line:
Code: :

wawajoiner 01.wav 02.wav 03.wav

etc...
chain_nn.wav file will be created.

note that the wav files should be of the same format!
this is windows app and require .net framework

p.s. sorry, but don't have a time to make a gui version.
Cappy
sox already does the same plus much more!
http://sox.sourceforge.net/

Also sox doesn't depend on closed source libraries.
just didn't encountered it when tried to find something similar.

thx
Go to top Post Reply