As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear [OT] 64 Hit Samples for cutting up in OT - Post your own (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: [OT] 64 Hit Samples for cutting up in OT - Post your own
Yoshi
Re:[OT] 64 Hit Samples for cutting up in OT - Post your own 12 Years, 4 Months ago
exuviae wrote:
So, in theory, this is nothing more than taking 64 drum or short samples into the DAW or whatever sample editor, butting them all up against each other and rendering it down as one sample that gets loaded into the OT?

Yes.

exuviae wrote:
I assume that the OT creates slices based on transient levels (seems to anyway), so it should cut them apart pretty properly, eh?

Rather then using transient levels, use the Slice function and set to 64 slices

- Double click Playback
- Function + Bank (Edit)
- Press Amp (Slice)
- Press Enter
- Select Create Slice Grid
- Select 64 slices

Then use parameter lock which slice you want to use.
  The topic has been locked.
King Koopa
mrsurga.tumblr.com
Re:[OT] 64 Hit Samples for cutting up in OT - Post your own 12 Years, 4 Months ago
OK that's not really a 64 samples chain, but I've uploaded this some times ago:

http://soundcloud.com/surgape/korg-electribe-emx-drum-sounds

All the drum sounds from the Korg EMX. Not the most cutting-edge samples around, but a really good starting base, bread and butter, all the "must have" samples for your drum loops.
exuviae wrote:
So, in theory, this is nothing more than taking 64 drum or short samples into the DAW or whatever sample editor, butting them all up against each other and rendering it down as one sample that gets loaded into the OT? I assume that the OT creates slices based on transient levels (seems to anyway), so it should cut them apart pretty properly, eh?

This could def. be magic!

yes BUT, the OT doesn't slice to transients, so simply make sure that your 64 sounds are equally spaced. For drum hits, you can probably fit one every 2 beats at 100 bpm. There is obviously no real limit since you're streaming from the card, just make sure that your chain "mathematically" makes sense.
Hope this is not too confusing.
Maybe I'll cover that in a quick tutorial, since it appears to be a pretty hot topic
Boo
Thanx AIKIGHOST great job!

I tried them out yesterday and found a possible workflow how I could deal with the slices.

My basic track length is 16 steps and I chopped one of the 64 hit samples into 64 pieces with the slice grid function.
After that I created random locks of the whole file several times to randomize the samples until the point that I liked .( of course I made some trigs manually to to that in my track )

Yesterday I saw visually that the cursor of the used samples after the random action generally stays at the beginning area off the 16 bars that i created in total, means the randomizing seems only take action on the first bars where are "only "some of the 64 samples are? ( the cursor jumped back and forward in that area ) and so was my feeling too.

Today I cannot see it visually anymore because I do not know how to get again in that window where I can see slices jumping back and forwarth but the feeling remains that not all 64 samples are used by the random lock function in a 16 beat bar!?

Sounds confusing hu?

so many functions so little time ...

Ideas and enlightenment appreciated

olaf
Boo
King Koopa
Gear Includes:
Elektron Analog 4
Elektron Monomachine
DSI Tempest
MPC 1000 (Custom)
Korg ESX1
Korg ER1
Various Monosynths
NI Maschine
Here are a couple more which come from my found sounds collection I recorded some time back with my olympus LS10 portable recorder.

First up 32 Feedback Hits, these were recorded from a malfunctioning marshall guitar amp witch makes very odd feedback noises when you plug the headphone output into the guitar in and wiggle the loose front panel about.

32 Marshal Amp Feedback Hits

Secondly 32 samples of me making percussion by tapping lightbulbs, bottles, tin cans and pans abut my house.

32 Bottle & Can Hits
King Koopa
Gear Includes:
Elektron Analog 4
Elektron Monomachine
DSI Tempest
MPC 1000 (Custom)
Korg ESX1
Korg ER1
Various Monosynths
NI Maschine
And one more this one is a biggie (16mb) for the old school industrial fiends

64 metalic hits from various found bits of metal i hit in various ways.
5id
Boo
MD UW+ OT
xoneDB4
AikiGhost i thought i would let you know you have just made my nipples erect
exuviae wrote:
So, in theory, this is nothing more than taking 64 drum or short samples into the DAW or whatever sample editor, butting them all up against each other and rendering it down as one sample that gets loaded into the OT? I assume that the OT creates slices based on transient levels (seems to anyway), so it should cut them apart pretty properly, eh?

This could def. be magic!

It's already been said, but to be clear—not based on transients. Lay them out on each 16th note across 4 bars. If they aren't evenly spaced, you can manually slice them, but it's easy to do if you lay them out in your DAW then just bounce the 4 bars, and auto-slice into 64 slices.
AikiGhost wrote:
And one more this one is a biggie (16mb) for the old school industrial fiends

64 metalic hits from various found bits of metal i hit in various ways.

thx a bunch for those ! you rock
Go to top Post Reply