As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Sandbox Beat Repeat (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Beat Repeat
Beat Repeat 12 Years, 8 Months ago
OK so I was letting the wife have a go on the OT (it was actually very funny). I asked her what she'd like me to make the OT do so she could play with it and she said 'make it do like a beat repeating effect' so I used the Delay Freeze trick (DTIM set to repeat time, Feedback 127, Sync on, Hold on etc.)

I set the DTIM to 32 for her to play with and it was working but then she said can I change the repeat speed so I though I'd set 3 Scenes to DTIM=32, DTIM=16 and DTIM=8 to give gradually faster repeats.

Problem was it didn't quite work. Any suggestions?
  The topic has been locked.
Re:Beat Repeat 12 Years, 8 Months ago
ehh, should work?? I use this a lot! u sure u set the send to 0 on other scenes? copy n paste scene works really well in these cases!

also setting it to un-even numbers makes it so nice!
Hmmm odd, i was sure it would work.

I definitely am scene-locking the send to 0 on all three scenes. Then I've got the xfader set to send 1 when in the left position (so fader left for normal loop, fader right for beat repeat then Scene B+T1/2/3 to change the repeat speed).

It works but if you've got the fader to the right, you can't change the repeat speed (by changing Scene B ) or it all goes wrong.
Anyone?

I had another go where I setup 4 Scenes

1 = delay send = 1 (i.e. normal playback)
2 = delay send = 0 (i.e. repeating), DTIM = 32
3 = delay send = 0, DTIM = 16
4 = delay send = 0, DTIM = 8

I can then swap Scenes to trigger the different repeat speeds.

Problem is, you can't go from, say, Scene 2 to 3 to 4 to gradually speed up the repeat. You have to go from 2 back to 1 (i.e. repeat off) and then you can go from 1 (off) to 3 (repeat, faster speed) etc.

Nearly but not quite right yet
Game & Watch
The reason you can't swap scenes and have the delay change speed, is that when you activate the scene to engage the lock, it samples a portion of the audio at that beat division I think. So you have to have a section where lock is disengaged before changing to the next beat division, so that the delay can capture at the new rate.

A possible workaround might be to use a thru track, so you could have say scene a on the source track, scene b on the thru track, scene c on the source and so on. Just a theory though have not tried this.
Thanks daren, that's what I figured initially but I wondered if I was missing something else.

I guess it would be much simpler to just slice the beat and then lock the RTIM. It's a shame that you can't set the resolution of the cross fader because it would be cool to be able to set the resolution to a multiple of, say, 8 and then you could just modify the RTRG speed with the cross-fader.

Either that or run the cross-fader output through a LFO before it's sent to RTIM. Then you could use the LFO designer to create a stepped shape (0,8,16,32 etc) and use the output of that to control the repeat speed.
King Koopa
Re:Beat Repeat 12 Years, 5 Months ago
just testet here and it is working fine, make sure to have send=0 on every scene, feedback long enough so the next scene has sth to "sample".

I did only a variation of the "time" and could jump from long to short back to long .... only with switching the scenes.
King Koopa
Re:Beat Repeat 12 Years, 5 Months ago
BTW if you want to go shorter in steps of 1/2 you can freeze with one scene only and then hold functun+adjust "time" it will go straight like 48/24/12/6/3/1 and alike
Go to top Post Reply