As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Science Labs How do I make this kick drum (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: How do I make this kick drum
King Koopa
mrsurga.tumblr.com
How do I make this kick drum 12 Years, 9 Months ago
Hi,

Please excuse my noobiness...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXdelltcO98&feature=related
How do you make this kick?
Especially the high frequency part, that subtle high pitched artifact...

I've tried SRR, low pass resonant filter, AM, some layering... but in the end it's either too strong, or has too much decay, or it eats the lower frequencies.... I'm close to it, but I can't get it right.

Anyone willing to share their settings? I'm using machinedrum, non-UW.
  The topic has been locked.
Re:How do I make this kick drum 12 Years, 9 Months ago
That (the high-pitched artifact) is the sound downgrade from uploading to youtube. Everything I make with a deep bass comes out that way, that sound is not there until it is uploaded on youtube or even soundcloud. I for one hate youtube and soundcloud for that, why would you want to create a sound that most of us wants to avoid? or are we talking about different things here
Admin
Try layering the basic version of your kick drum with a short sound that has the SRR effect. This way you can tweak the kick and the "SRR attack" independently - decay, duration, volume etc.

Also, try low pass filtering after the SRR effect, to make it less bright. To achieve this on a non-UW you'd have to run the audio through an individual out and then back into an input machine. Convoluted, but it gives you more control.
King Koopa
mrsurga.tumblr.com
why would you want to create a sound that most of us wants to avoid?

I like low-fi and playing with my machine

I've tried to SRR the kick, but even with a value of only 1, the effect is too strong (zero has no effect, and for some reasons I found that 8 also has very little impact on the sound). I'll try Nils' tips later, thanks

edit: heard it again on Mixcloud: http://www.mixcloud.com/jeffbennett/jeff-bennett-dj-set-november-2010/ , first track.

edit edit: okay... okay... I just listened to one of my soundcloud tracks and I CAN hear it. Then I downloaded the original OGG file, and there... the artefact is gone... that's interesting, I never noticed that before...
Soundcloud bitrate reduction is definitely the cause! How about a soundcloud-izer effect pedal then?
Admin
Well you could simply upload your kckdrum to soundcloud and resample
it from there. Alternatively, play with various audio conversions like lo-quality mp3 etc..
Game & Watch
Re:How do I make this kick drum 12 Years, 8 Months ago
Paiheu, this is a really nice track you have linked to. Love the sound - of all the parts.

So how did they get this bassdrum sound?

I do not know, maybe they sampled the bassdrum from somewhere, because they liked it.

To create this on the MD, i guess the trick is to find out all angles of the bassdrum sound.

There is a nice ratio of harmonic content and bassdrum non-harmonic sound.

By non-harmonic, i mean the 'noise' aspect .. there is a medium/bright click (well, nearly a click) at the start of the sound.

By harmonic, i mean part of the bassdrum sound that could register on a bass-tuner as a definable note.
Some people adjust this intuitively, others will create a specific frequency in software or some other way.

The bassdrum sound falls off quickly, it is quicker in length than a 16th note.. im guessing the sound lasts for somewhere between a 32nd and a 16th rhythmic value.

Posible way to recreate the vibe:
Layering two sounds on the Machinedrum (in other words, use a "Trig" grouping setting) ..

maybe a simple Sin machine and perhaps BD2 from the sample kit... or, the EFM bassdrum with a TRX skin drum? just guessing here.. anyway thanks for linking to this very cool "deeptech" sound.
King Koopa
MPC 2500
MonoMachine mk2+
Octatrack
Fizmo Rack
Korg 707
Dark Energy
Mackie Onyx 1640i
2 * Pandora PX4
Korg KP 3
Art TCS
Valley People Dynamite
Re:How do I make this kick drum 12 Years, 7 Months ago
try loading a normal short 808 kick that sounds the same like the one from the video you posted into wavelab or another audio editor and save it as 32 kHz mono 8 or 16 bit.

.R
Goomba
For what it's worth, this sounds (Mixcloud link) like 2 samples with a delay, such as with MIDI echo or double triggering by accident. There's definitely to my ears a double attack going on there. Re discussion of downgrading via Soundcloud, this happens with recording analogue to MiniDisc in a nice way, and also downconverting MP3s in iTunes. I love MiniDisc sound and still use it.
King Koopa
MPC 2500
MonoMachine mk2+
Octatrack
Fizmo Rack
Korg 707
Dark Energy
Mackie Onyx 1640i
2 * Pandora PX4
Korg KP 3
Art TCS
Valley People Dynamite
I like using stomper.

http://www.master-zap.com/stomper/

the installer breaks down on some computers but then you gotta go to task manager and kill process on the setup.
You can find the executable stomper.exe somewhere in your program files dir

I use it for single cycle waves as well, to put in the monomachine

.R
Go to top Post Reply