As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Octatrack Transitions & Crossfader Demo (Video) (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Octatrack Transitions & Crossfader Demo (Video)
Boo
Re:Octatrack Transitions & Crossfader Demo (Video) 12 Years, 3 Months ago
haha.. i think that was the problem all the time.. i just set the phones to listen to the main out only and now it works.. the sample is still much louder than the machines but thats only a matter of balancing it right.. thanks for the help folks! i appreciate! this rules!!!
  The topic has been locked.
Yoshi
Cool, I was playing with this feature together with Tarekith live set posted a while ago. Good fun!!!

I have one question Mr. T, in your MD only live set, the tracks are not panned. Is there a particular reason for this?
Admin
InnerPortalStudio.com - Specializing in mastering and mixdowns of electronic music.
Not really, just preference I guess. I use a lot of stereo delays and reverbs to fill up the stereo spread, though there are some times I pan some of the individual sounds too.
Yoshi
ipassenger wrote:
Just out of interest I tried this approach on an internal pattern in the octa (rather than the inputs), did a resample and used the crossfader to move to the sampled loop, with a bit of level tweaking before hand it can work perfectly,

Any chance of someone explaining how to setup this trick for just sampling the internal tracks?

Would love to start mixing between tracks, but keep failing at setting this up
Boo
molotov wrote:
ipassenger wrote:
Just out of interest I tried this approach on an internal pattern in the octa (rather than the inputs), did a resample and used the crossfader to move to the sampled loop, with a bit of level tweaking before hand it can work perfectly,

Any chance of someone explaining how to setup this trick for just sampling the internal tracks?

Would love to start mixing between tracks, but keep failing at setting this up

Ok here goes:

Choose one track that you'd want to use as a flex recorder - I personally always use track 4 since it's close to the enter/yes button (more on that later). Create one scene [A] where all tracks level are set to MAX, except track 4 (in this case), which will be set to MIN. do the opposite on the other scene [B] where you set all other tracks to MIN and your flex recorder track to MAX. The reason why I choose to do this with the level parameter and not the vol parameter in the amp page is that as far as I know you can't cue a track which has a volume of 0. I always use Scene trig 1 for scene A and scene trig 16 for scene B, just so that it's consistent and that I will find it easily when performing.

It's also important that the track 4 level is set to 127 (leave vol in the amp page at default value) so that it will play back the main outputs at the same level as it was recorded and that there won't be any dips in the loudness when you move the fader over to the transition loop - scene B in this case.

Now to the recorder settings:

On track 4 I put one normal sample trig on step 1. I then enter the rec trig menu by pressing func+rec and place a oneshot rec trig on step 1 by pressing func+trig 1. After that I hold down the oneshot trig and make sure that it only samples from the internal input by depressing the AB input (which I guess it defaults to) and pressing the MIDI button so that it lights up (now it's set to sample internal sources). In the rec setup menu you should set src 3 to "MAIN" (or T8 if you use that as master, either way is fine). Rec length depends on how long you want your transition loops to be, I always leave it at max just in case.

Set the length of track 4 to whatever you find suitable for your patterns.

Now copy and paste this setting to all parts and patterns (yes all banks too! - depending on how you work) -in your machine and save as a template - so you don't have to redo it all the time, and make sure that in the other patterns scene A is set to trig scene 1 and scene B is set to trig scene 16 - just so that when you make a transition to another pattern it will still mute the other channels exept your "transition channel" before you start to fade in the new pattern.

If you always use one set of scenes on the rest of the scene trig buttons it's a good idea to set that up before starting to copy these setting to all the other patterns, parts and banks since it takes around 20 min to do so.. and it's quite frustrating to redo this process.. (please elektron, add bank copy or some other way that would make this template building a breeze)

All you have to do when this is finally set up is to press track 4 + enter/yes and it will arm the oneshot rec trig and record whatever comes out of the main outputs, then fade to scene B, change pattern and fade back into the new pattern. Voila!
- (here's why I choose to lock the level parameter and not the vol parameter since you can cue the tracks from the new part and pattern while still having the fader at scene B - your "transition loop", make any re-adjustments to pitch for example so that the transition will mix well harmonically)

Perhaps not the simplest explanation, hope I didn't miss something, it really gets easy to do once you've done it a couple of times, and actually as I said, you just need to set it up once if you work with the same template! Works amazingly well!
Yoshi
awesome thanks so much, really appreciate it!

cant wait to try this out..
Admin
InnerPortalStudio.com - Specializing in mastering and mixdowns of electronic music.
I made a new video showing step by step how to set everything up to do this trick:

http://tarekith.com/octatrack-crossfader-transition-how-to-video/
Cappy
Does this same process work the the thru machine?

Great tutorial by the way!
Admin
No, that requires a seperate track and different xdir parameters I believe.
King Koopa
mrsurga.tumblr.com
You can do a similar thing with a TRU machine, but yes it will take one more track (you need one track for the TRU and one for the FLEX), the scene settings are a bit different, and if you use effects on the TRU you will want to change the recorder settings as well.

But it works. Do it with the input only first, it will help you to understand how it works and it'll be easier to translate to TRU.
Go to top Post Reply