As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Octatrack Transitions & Crossfader Demo (Video) (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Octatrack Transitions & Crossfader Demo (Video)
Re:Octatrack Transitions & Crossfader Demo (Video) 12 Years, 4 Months ago
There's a bunch of new MIDI CC-releated settings gone into the last OS. Have a search around the MIDI setup pages.
  The topic has been locked.
Admin
InnerPortalStudio.com - Specializing in mastering and mixdowns of electronic music.
I did, see my last post Unless there's another page I'm missing?
Admin
InnerPortalStudio.com - Specializing in mastering and mixdowns of electronic music.
Nevermind, can't believe I fell victim to the newbie Classic/Ext button. Sigh...
Boo
hey.. i'm just trying to get this to work.. heres my problem: i got it all set up as you said.. i swapped scenes a&b tho as i got my setup the other way around. i set my trigs, sample a loop, kill the rectrig and move my xfader over to hear the sampled stuff.. but it seems like it didnt record at all.. i must be missing something.. i'm still trying to get a grasp on these machines.. any idea what i might be doing wrong?
pixlfiend wrote:
hey.. i'm just trying to get this to work.. heres my problem: i got it all set up as you said.. i swapped scenes a&b tho as i got my setup the other way around. i set my trigs, sample a loop, kill the rectrig and move my xfader over to hear the sampled stuff.. but it seems like it didnt record at all.. i must be missing something.. i'm still trying to get a grasp on these machines.. any idea what i might be doing wrong?

Did you select the correct sample source, for example Inputs AB? I struggled a bit with this when setting things up I remember... Also this was made with an older OS, I forgot to upgrade to 1.1 due to various reasons so there might have been some changes there too, since several people seem to not making this work? (works flawlessly here still)
Tarekith wrote:
UNgh, ok, figured it out. The instruction on the first page are wrong:

5: Go to the AMP page, Press down the Scene 1 button and assign XVOL (XLEV in some older OS) to MAX. On Scene2, assign XVOL MIN.

It should be:

5: Go to the AMP page, Press down the Scene 1 button and assign XVOL (XLEV in some older OS) to MIN. On Scene2, assign XVOL MAX.

Also, if you're at the same time sampling the main outs of the OT as well as the inputs, you want to assign the XVOL on the Amp page for Scene 1 to Min, and Scene 2 to MAX for all the internal OT tracks.

Sorted, whew! frakking hell that was stressful....

Thanx! This whole thing was a bit awkward to explain since the original info I had was made so that scenes A and B were the opposite of this demo.. I wanted things this way since for me, this makes more sense.. Glad to hear its working out, after over half a year this one trick is what I use the OT for, and it makes live gigs so immensly flexible and fun
Boo
ok i set it up again from scratch. when i move the fader to scn B i hear the sample on the OT as well as the machines playing in background, when i move the fader to scn A everything is silent.. i set it up exactly as it was written.. i still seem to be missing something..
Boo
got scnA on xvolMIN and scnB on xvolMAX
scnA XDIR MIN scnB XDIR 64(didnt lock it.. maybe thats the prob?)
Admin
You don't need to lock it, I have mine like that too.

Not sure if this will help, but here's my revisions for my own uses of this trick, maybe it will point out something you're missing:

PREPARATIONS:

1: connect your sources. In this video I have MD going to inputs A/B, MnM to C/D

2: set DIR levels in the Mixer to 61 (your mileage may vary, it just needs to be far away from 0 value to work)

3: Hold down Scene 2 and set XDIR on A B and C D to 0. This means that when you move the crossfader all the way to that scene, the inputs will be silent. This is because we want the sample to play back instead..I'll come back to that

4: Assign a FLEX machine to Track 1, and select R1 RECORDER. Level is set to max in this video, and Volume parameter to -32.

5: On Track 1, go to the AMP page, Press down the Scene 1 button and assign XVOL (XLEV in some older OS) to MIN. On Scene2, assign XVOL MAX.

6. On Tracks 2-7, set Scene 2 XVOL to MIN.

7 : Enter Grid Recording Mode, and press [Function] + [Bank] to open the Track Trig Edit window. Place a Rectrig on step 1, and a Play trig on step 1 also. In this video I've set the recording settings to a recording length of 8 steps, since that reflects the length of the External (MD/MnM) sequences.

8: Hit PLAY on the master sequencer, crossfader all the way to Scene 1. You should now hear your sources (in my video, that means the MD/MnM) play back normally.

9: Remove the REC trig after the sequence has played. when you remove it, the last triggered recording represents the playback sample. Removing the trig is VITAL for this to work.

10: Move the fader over to Scene 2. This mutes the external source(s) and all you hear is the freshly recorded sample. to the audience it just sounds like the sequence is playing like normal..
Boo
could the problem come from me using headphones and not listening to my main outs?
Go to top Post Reply