As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Octatrack Transitions & Crossfader Demo (Video) (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Octatrack Transitions & Crossfader Demo (Video)
Re:Octatrack Transitions & Crossfader Demo (Video) 12 Years, 9 Months ago
Just realised I forgot to link to the software I use. It's free too.

http://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/

Oh and while we're at it, if you do run OSX, there's an awesome free MIDI patchbay program (I use it with my Akai MPK Mini and a basic EMU 2-in, 2-out MIDI interface)

http://notahat.com/midi_patchbay
  The topic has been locked.
Kong
mr. applehead
or midi-ox (free) for pc
Game & Watch
Just out of interest I tried this approach on an internal pattern in the octa (rather than the inputs), did a resample and used the crossfader to move to the sampled loop, with a bit of level tweaking before hand it can work perfectly, almost invisible.

The only clue is any long lfos etc don't continue to evolve (nature of sampling) and any master effects on T8 (e.g. compressor) gets added again but still would work fine in a live situation. Would be quite handy to have the option to resample T8 before the effects, if your using it as a master track, then you could definitely make it effectively seamless.
ipassenger wrote:
Just out of interest I tried this approach on an internal pattern in the octa (rather than the inputs), did a resample and used the crossfader to move to the sampled loop, with a bit of level tweaking before hand it can work perfectly, almost invisible.

The only clue is any long lfos etc don't continue to evolve (nature of sampling) and any master effects on T8 (e.g. compressor) gets added again but still would work fine in a live situation. Would be quite handy to have the option to resample T8 before the effects, if your using it as a master track, then you could definitely make it effectively seamless.

atleast when I played this weekend (sampling external sources only), everything went absolutely flawlessly In fact, hearing my liveset again I had to listen close to find out where I changed patterns since the loop is so perfect, the only thing giving it away is any delay/reverb/lfo cycles being cut at the end of the loop.. I love it, already fully dedicating track 1 for this and track 8 for master in a live situation.
Thomas wrote:
Cant you just change the midi channels on the OT? Or set the midichannel for OT track one to "off"?

Har ikke lest igjennom tråden så nøye, så unnskyld hvis du allerede har testa dette.

It's odd, but this was it, even tho I am pretty sure I tried that a few times.. I feel very stupid now

But hey, it's working and I'm a happy kitten again!
Admin
InnerPortalStudio.com - Specializing in mastering and mixdowns of electronic music.
Re:Octatrack Transitions & Crossfader Demo (Video) 12 Years, 3 Months ago
Anyone using this to loop an external input and the main out at once? I can sort of get it to work, but the sample I record always sounds phasey, like there's some comb filtering going on or something.
Admin
InnerPortalStudio.com - Specializing in mastering and mixdowns of electronic music.
UNgh, this is really starting to do my head in, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. This is the #1 thing I need the OT to do, but the results are completely unpredictable. Sometimes the looping works ok, but just sounds a bit of like some of my sounds are doubled and comb filtering, other times the exact same settings play back the loops wildly disorted and too loud, or only for a half bar before shutting off. WTF?
Admin
UNgh, ok, figured it out. The instruction on the first page are wrong:

5: Go to the AMP page, Press down the Scene 1 button and assign XVOL (XLEV in some older OS) to MAX. On Scene2, assign XVOL MIN.

It should be:

5: Go to the AMP page, Press down the Scene 1 button and assign XVOL (XLEV in some older OS) to MIN. On Scene2, assign XVOL MAX.

Also, if you're at the same time sampling the main outs of the OT as well as the inputs, you want to assign the XVOL on the Amp page for Scene 1 to Min, and Scene 2 to MAX for all the internal OT tracks.

Sorted, whew! frakking hell that was stressful....
Admin
Also, in the Record Set up window, you DON'T want Input AB selected (even though we're capturing it) just SRC3 Main. Rock on, back in business.
Admin
Although for some reason, the OT is sending some kind of messages to my MD (OT master, MD slave) that keep the right kit from loading when I select the next pattern on the MD. PC changes, MIDI CC and Note data Out are turned of on the OT too.
Go to top Post Reply