As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Re: micron as controller for MM? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re: micron as controller for MM?
Killer Beez
Re: micron as controller for MM? 18 Years, 11 Months ago
but the ION sounds great too! I mean especially for the price!
  The topic has been locked.
Boo
Current \'gear\': Korg Legacy controller, Launchpad, Renoise.
so given that the price difference between the sfx-60 and the sfx-6 would effectively pay for the micron... is the convenience of having the keyboard attached on the sfx-6 worth the difference, especially when one could have a similar sized dedicated keyboard/synth in the micron for less?
Admin
OT, MD-UW Mk2, SFX-60 Mk2, SFX-6
scottkellogg.com
For what it's worth, the integrated keyboard of the SFX-6 does more than play notes. You can get into all sorts of multi-trig transpositions and multi-map pattern selections with it. Also, the joystick is programmable for each track, and they can be effected all at the same time or individually. That being said, the portability of the SFX-60 is really cool, and you can get similar functionality with an external keyboard.

I guess the real question is what do you think the Micron offers you that the Monomachine does not? What are you trying to express through music?
Boo
Current \'gear\': Korg Legacy controller, Launchpad, Renoise.
in that case, i guess i should rephrase my first post. can one take advantage of the same features of the sfx-6 by using the sfx-60 and a midi controller? if so, does the micron have the capability of using the programmable joystick with its assignable knobs/sliders and pitch bend?

my primary interest in the monomachine is the possibility of being able to program the primary structure of my songs on just the monomachine and possibly add other synths with the mono's midi machine sequencer.

basically, i'm considering the MM as the primary instrument in my setup. The sfx-6 is rather expensive and one could just buy the sfx-60 and a micron. as a controller, the micron is roughly the same width, depth and height as the keyboard half of the sfx-6 plus I would have an extra synth.
I can't think of any cheap dedicated midi controller that is as compact as the micron and is a 3-octave full size keybard.

however, if the sfx-6 has some factors that make having the keyboard attached (simplicity of workflow can be valuable) that would make paying the extra, then i would look for an sfx-6. i'm just trying to figure out what i would be missing out on if i didn't obtain a sfx-6 (most likely used, if can find one).

sorry for the length and any redundancy, but i figured it would be best to explain my position.

thanks everyone!
Admin
OT, MD-UW Mk2, SFX-60 Mk2, SFX-6
scottkellogg.com

dirge wrote:
in that case, i guess i should rephrase my first post. can one take advantage of the same features of the sfx-6 by using the sfx-60 and a midi controller? if so, does the micron have the capability of using the programmable joystick with its assignable knobs/sliders and pitch bend?

Yes, you can program a controller to access all of the SFX-6's functions, but the workflow is not the same. It is simple and intergrated in the SFX-6, and more fiddly with a controller. This may or may not make a difference to you.

my primary interest in the monomachine is the possibility of being able to program the primary structure of my songs on just the monomachine and possibly add other synths with the mono's midi machine sequencer.

The Mono will be great for this. If live performance tweakability is not a concern for you, then the tabletop version would be fine.

I can't think of any cheap dedicated midi controller that is as compact as the micron and is a 3-octave full size keybard.

I was controlling my old SFX-60 with a MicroKontrol, and, even though I could get the same results with the MK, now that I have the SFX-6, I can see the beauty of what the Elektron designers achieved in the larger instrument.

however, if the sfx-6 has some factors that make having the keyboard attached (simplicity of workflow can be valuable) that would make paying the extra, then i would look for an sfx-6. i'm just trying to figure out what i would be missing out on if i didn't obtain a sfx-6 (most likely used, if can find one).

There are compelling arguments for both the tabletop and the keyboard versions of the instrument, but, having had both, I like the keyboard version more. I feel it to be the better performance platform. Then again, I am doing shows that are 100% Monomachine. I still wish I had the tabletop, though, because it's easy to carry around and put in your lap when you go someplace, like a coffeeshop or what not.

sorry for the length and any redundancy, but i figured it would be best to explain my position.

Don't sweat it! That's what this forum is for.
yo dirge....if you're interested, someone just posted to the Yahoo group that he's selling his SFX-6. it's a beta unit (perfectly functional; that's what mine is in fact). he's looking to get $1550 or best offer for it. he mentioned cross-posting here, but if he doesn't, try checking the group out.
Go to top Post Reply