As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Sandbox Re:need help in Mixer/Monitor basic knowledge (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:need help in Mixer/Monitor basic knowledge
Cappy
need help in Mixer/Monitor basic knowledge 11 Years, 1 Month ago
hello. i have been making music for a long time but i think that i am learned or doing certain things wrong so i hope someone share some studio experience with me.

One of my problems is that i using the master faders of my mixer to control the volume of my monitor speakers and i,m not shure if this is right. because i route the main xlr out to the monitors and the headphone output with a 3,5 jack to double xlr (stereo) to my wav recorder for recording. So sometimes the level of my master level is right but the speakers are to low or to loud. i think it would be the best to control the monitor level from the mixer but how can i do this. i want to go out of the mixer with xlr because i think this is the best quality and my monotor level is only on the first mark. should it usually minimum in the middle for the right audio monitoring?
  The topic has been locked.
Cappy
Re:need help in Mixer/Monitor basic knowledge 11 Years, 1 Month ago
this all depends on what kind of mixer you are using.

you want one where the monitor and master volume controls are independent.

some mixers even have a 'rec out' that is unaffected by the master volume.

xlr / rca / 1/4" will be the same quality, however your headphone jack is probably not the best.
Cappy
i use a allen&heath zed 22 fx. i,ve found a alternative out (stereo) with a proper level control but that is just a chinch output.the 6,3 jack output is just mono. when i use a chinch stereo to xlr stereo cable is there a possible sound deficit compared to xlr to xlr?
if not then this would be a solution for me because over alt out i,ve the separate level control for the monitors and the xlr outs to route in my wav recorder instead the headphone out.
Cappy
Forgive me, but what is a 'chinch output' / 'chinch stereo' / 6,3 jack?

You shouldn't need any mono / stereo converters and the type of cable xlr / 1/4" doesn't make a difference, unless you are talking balanced / unbalanced and running cables a very long way.

Just try it out.
Cappy
Just looked at your mixer, just use the REC OUT rca - that's what they are for.

Try the alt out, try the different settings of L/R PRE on some of those buses, you've got a lot of options with that board.
Cappy
i think the english term for chinch is phono socket yes i would try it an hope that it works fine. Thank you for your help!
Cappy
Ok - so chinch = phono jack = RCA jack ;].

Good luck with it.
Go to top Post Reply