As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Sandbox Re:A4 drum kit (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:A4 drum kit
Goomba
A4 drum kit 11 Years, 3 Months ago
Hey all,

My two cents to this forum... A basic durmkit for Analog four (my first analog synth).
http://www.mediafire.com/?fjpj1rv9w35lwvg

Kick : Self oscilating filter + enveloppe, OSC1 for character, env2 on enfF depth to add a "click"
Tweak decay, cutoff, envF depth and decay, env2 depth, OSC1 level, OSC1 pitch to tune with the song, release to add bass in the end, with vibrato to use the kick track as a bass line too.

Snare, Rim : Filtered noise (peak) + enveloppe, env2 on cutoff to add even more attack
Tweak decay, noise, cutoff, envF depth.

Hihat : Filtered noise, OSC1 to add a metallic touch
Tweak decay, noise, cutoff, envF depth, OSC1.

I guess we could use FM to improve the metallic aspect of the hat, and add something similar to the snare... Next time.

Enjoy and tweak !!!
  The topic has been locked.
Game & Watch
Re:A4 drum kit 11 Years, 3 Months ago
If you want 808/606 type hats use square waves for osc 1 & 2, with sub osc -1 oct for both, high pass filter both with a bit of noise, set the osc tracking to off and set the tuning high, detune the interval between them for beating and use metallic sync. Experiment with that set up for all manner of nice analog metal sounds.
Goomba
Thanks, great tip !
Sounds like there's an infinity of metal tones now...

I tried to use the AM1 switch to get this, but detuning in high frequencies is awesome !

By the way, do you tune your hihat according to the song ?
Because if you do, you have to find the right detune each time you change the base frequency, don't you ?

Last question Do you use the same kind of trick to get the snare sound ? I only used noise, but I think something is missing...
Game & Watch
No I do not tune to the song, generally metal sounds work best when they are atonal or they can just sound like a chord, it is the beating/interaction of close frequencies coupled with high pass filtering that gets a fairly close cymbal sound.

For snares you can get good results using the tri wave with a bit of envelope to pitch to give a kind of bend like a skin being struck, then mix that with a bit of noise, use a short decay on the noise and a slightly longer decay on the envelope for the tri (body) Usually a bandpass filter works well, but experiment. You should be able to make a good 909 type snare this way.

Have a look at the soundonsound secrets of drum synthesis article for some good basic tips.

Link http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm
Goomba
Thanks, SOS articles are awesome !

So I tried to start with two triangles at about 180 and 330Hz with a small pitch enveloppe, and I tweaked the frequencies a bit, and that's it, much better snare body

However, tried the band pass filter with no success, and had to go with the peak filter to keep the body "big", and use the self oscillating trick to have some punchy attack.

Can you tell how comes that stock sounds are often so poor in such pieces of gear, though they have a super potential ?

Thanks again, man (and your videos rock !).
Game & Watch
Yes the BP filter does not work well for all snares, but for Kraftwerk/electro type snares it can sound quite good, tweak the filter env a bit and a bit of resonance for that nice 'thwack'
Goomba
I tested all the filters with the snare.

Band pass sounds too narrow for me, especially because noise is also filtered, I presume.

Peak and hipass are great, and alter noise differently, so tweaking these two filters and noise shape can bring you loads of snare colors

Still resonance at max.

Thanks !
Go to top Post Reply