As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Sandbox Re:OT: Synthesizer (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:OT: Synthesizer
OT: Synthesizer 12 Years, 8 Months ago
Here's one I thought you might enjoy. When I made this track:

http://elektron-users.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=28&func=view&id=142747&catid=10

I did quite a nifty little trick to synthesis the kick drum.

I setup the BC16 to just play a simple sine wave with a shortish amp envelope. Placed MIDI trigs on the OT to trigger (usual 4-on-the-floor pattern) and setup a track recorder with 1 one-shot recording trig. In the playback pattern I placed the same 4-on-the-floor layout of trigs.

A flex machine was assigned to the track and I setup some real-time synthesis:

FX1: LO-FI
FX2: FILTER
LFO 1: exponential, 32x, ONE with maximum depth, destination PITCH
LFO 2: isaw, 32x, HALF, with about 64 depth, destination LO-FI DIST

So the OT was doing a super fast pitch sweep via LFO 1 and adding a tiny crack of distortion at the beginning of each kick sound. Fine tune the sound with the filter and you can get a pretty reasonable analogue-sounding drum.

What's nice is that you can keep arming the one-shot recorder while the track is playing and mess around with the original source sound (in my case coming from the BC16) like changing it to a square or triangle wave etc.
  The topic has been locked.
Game & Watch
Re:OT: Synthesizer 12 Years, 8 Months ago
Sounds interesting, I'll check it out.

I find with the effects and sequencer you can turn just about anything into useful and interesting sounds. I turned some garbled mic recorded vocals into pads last night and then used the sequencer to create a riff with the resampled pads.

For a sampler it is very easy to just noodle around like it is a synth. Helps if you have a blank part + pattern with all your rams free for resampling each mad noodle.
Very true.

In a way it's like a weird hybrid 8 voice modular synth, without a VCO but with the ability to use absolutely anything as an oscillator. I just really wish they'd expose the 'advanced' parameters of the FX to p-locking/scene-locking/LFOs. Then it would be absolutely mental
Totally! I love the fact that OT can be a killer synth - drum machine as well being a kick arse sampler

I remember speaking to the elektron guys about the 'advanced' parameters getting locked and overall, I did not get the impression that they would do it
Admin
tIB was here
^ they will remain as they are unable to be locked?
^^ yea, that's what I gathered from what they were saying...never know though
Chain Chomp
Every track here is made live using only the monomachine and the octatrack (no pc):
www.soundcloud.com/cutoph2
www.soundcloud.com/nobodyslistening
neilbaldwin wrote:
Then it would be absolutely mental

Indeed! Sometimes I'm working on a patch where I just wish we had that feature!

And I just loaded a bunch of waveforms to my OT , with the right procedure and with some patience you can do anything with it
Goomba
Octatrack, Minibrute, Virus A, T-Resonator, Monomachine, MicroModular, RNC
Re:OT: Synthesizer 12 Years, 1 Month ago
"In a way it's like a weird hybrid 8 voice modular synth, without a VCO but with the ability to use absolutely anything as an oscillator."
That it exactly. Just the perfect description of the OT. Genius.
Go to top Post Reply