As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Science Labs Re:Electric piano sounds on MnM (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:Electric piano sounds on MnM
Goomba
Electric piano sounds on MnM 13 Years, 8 Months ago
hello, I was wondering whether any of you know how to create a credible electric piano sound (yamaha-like) on the MnM mk-II or maybe even have already made ones to trade.

Thanks!

Andrea
  The topic has been locked.
Admin
tIB was here
Re:Electric piano sounds on MnM 13 Years, 8 Months ago
try here: http://elektron-users.com/index.php?option=com_openwiki&Itemid=43&id=organ

lots more tips in that wiki of ours too...
Game & Watch
there was another really cool thread started 12 months ago by a female Elektron User from Norway, specifically about electric piano .. i searched through the Sandbox and Science Labs although could not find the info.
previewlounge wrote:
there was another really cool thread started 12 months ago by a female Elektron User from Norway, specifically about electric piano .. i searched through the Sandbox and Science Labs although could not find the info.

wait wait wait, we have a female elektron user here in Norway? awsooom!!
Game & Watch
I don´t have my MnM here so I can´t give specific parameter values but try this anyway:

Electric piano sounds was always divided between the ones that go more wurly and early rhodes, with a more fat and rounded tone, and the ones that got a more belly or glassy tone, like last rhodes and the infamous DX7 FM pianos

I always like the first ones. For that kind of stuff try start with a square wave with a 50% duty cycle (perfect square). You got such a wave in the superwave machine

After setting the proper oscillator go to the tracking options and turn off the tracking for both filters or at last the LFP one

Then go to the AMP envelope and set a quick attack, long decay and release and try a hold between 0 to 2 to get a bit of "compressed" attack if you like it

go to the filter and set the LPF somewhat low..try a bit of resonance to enhace some harmonic content but don´t use envelope modulation of the filter, you don´t want a filter sweep

tremolo, phaser and spring reverb also works well with e-pianos and most of the times are present in those sounds, so adding a bit of those will help to get an e-piano tone, even before you finished the patch

you can achieve some of those FX straight form the MnM itself

go to some of the LFO and target it to volume, use a triangle wave, a quite fast rate but just a little depht to get some tremolo

you can use another LFO to delay the tremolo making the first LFO to rise slowly so it leave the attack phase untouched and appears after that

now at the FX page go to the EQ, turn the gain down and sweep the frequency while playing until you get something you like...using an triangle LFO to sweep the EQ frequency can make good phaser-ish sound with both gain up or down

the delay can make a quite good retro-reverb or tape delay impression if you add just a little but with a quite high feedback and short delay times....use the LPF to tame a bit of the high frequencies and make more of a mud sound rather than clear repetitions

after all that you can experiment with some parameters like changing a bit the PW of the oscillator, add a sine wave sub-oscillator, move the LFP cutoff and resonance, try different EQ frequencies and depht and so on

if you want it more yamaha DX7 then go to the FM machines instead and try the other tricks anyway
you can change JUST the oscillator section without touch the other section parameters by selecting another machine type by holding the FUNCTION button

the SID square oscillator could be another interesting source, or even the digipro waves

of course using any of this sounds in poly mode leads to a better result since you can make proper chords and if you are using a keyboard to play it you can go to the velocity page and assign some parameters like amp and filter to get a more responsive sound
Hammer Bro
^^^

Where is the "bowing with respect" emoticon when you need it..
Goomba
Re:Electric piano sounds on MnM 13 Years, 4 Months ago
Indeed!
Thanks a lot for all the suggestions
Go to top Post Reply