As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Lounge Re:Learn Analog Synthesis (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:Learn Analog Synthesis
Goomba
Learn Analog Synthesis 10 Years, 7 Months ago
I just bought an Analog Four so I'm learning analog synthesis from scratch. It's a massive departure from VSTs so it really helps to get back to basics.

I found this set of intro tutorials really helpful. The instructor uses a Moog Voyager to illustrate the fundamentals, but it's really easy to repeat his examples on the Analog Four.

The Fundamentals Of Synthesis

Let's use this thread to share our learning resources.
  The topic has been locked.
Boo
Re:Learn Analog Synthesis 10 Years, 7 Months ago
Thanks, Implied. That's helpful!
I'm thinking of getting A4 to learn anolog synthesis as well.

On a related note, is A4 a good starting point to learn subtractive synthesis? Not all analogs are created equal and interface makes all the difference IMHO.

A4 is not one-button-per-function type of synth, so I wonder...

I bought a DSI Tetra a while back hoping that it help me learn anolog syntesis and, boy, was I wrong (limited interface).
Goomba
Rob Papen's book/CD combo is a good source of info on synthesis and interfaces of all kinds, too. Here's a link: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/4ElemSynth/

There are other books out there, too, but this one is freshest in my mind.

Good luck!
Chain Chomp
Goomba
A4, MnM, DSI MEK-x2, Waldorf Pulse+, Q, XT, Blofeld, Miniworks 4-Pole Filter; Virus KC, KB; Korg DW8000,;Alesis Fusion;Minibrute; Quasimidi Polymorph
void wrote:
SOS: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm

THAT is a wealthy repository of information that I had gone through just as a refresher and of course learned some new things as well.

I originally come from pianist and reed background and learned synthesis back in 1982 on the original MS20 and if the OP plans to get some analog gear for cv/gate track, the MS20-mini or even the Minibrute would be a really great hands-on way to learn quite a lot. The Minibrute has MUCH better keyboard with velocity AND aftertouch, which IMO makes it most utilitarian of the two because can also use to dynamically input notes in A4. The Korg MS20-mini may sound good but test drive in store immediately disliked the keyboard action. I could possibly get over the unique scaled-down keyboard but it faithfully reproduces THAT sound, but would have required for me, to use higher quality keyboard.
Either way, (or buy both) you would have something that's really ideal for learning and utilitarian in being able to use the CV/Gate Track with them.
Cappy
Electronic Music - Systems, Techniques, and Controls by Allen Strange

THIS is what its all about
Game & Watch
I think the best way to learn is with a simple analog synth like an SH-101, or some other basic 1 knob per parameter synth, once you understand what each of the components do like VCO, LFO, VCF, ADSR, etc then everything soon falls into place, then maybe move on to a more feature laden synth or a small modular, where those basics can be applied to wider concepts, for example using a ADSR to affect pitch of a VCO, or using an LFO to vary volume etc.

Then it is just a case of using your ears to determine the effect each part has on eachother, pretty soon you will be able to visualise simple sounds easily and make them, then after a while even have an idea how to create more complex sounds, time spent learning the basics will reward you with a lifetime of fun and experimentation.
Go to top Post Reply