As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Lounge Re:How Much Are You Worth? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:How Much Are You Worth?
Admin
InnerPortalStudio.com - Specializing in mastering and mixdowns of electronic music.
How Much Are You Worth? 10 Years, 9 Months ago

Ever had trouble trying to decide how much to charge for a gig, or your services in the audio field? It's not the only way, but here's the way I went about it.

http://tarekith.com/how-much-are-you-worth/
  The topic has been locked.
Chain Chomp
http://soundcloud.com/pixelife
Re:How Much Are You Worth? 10 Years, 9 Months ago
I have a mixdown guy who I use, well two. But I'm going to start using only him from here on out.

He charges me a flat day rate of 250 dollars. That's the friend rate and his usual for others is more like 300/350.

We did a mixdown of a track today and it took about 6 hours.

He is extremely thorough and knows how to problem solve very quickly. This comes from the fact he did live sound for 15 years for bands like Trans Am and The Rapture. Different rooms, different boards, etc. Super good and nailing things down.

Some friends have remarked that it seems like a lot what he was charging me. Well for one I am super happy with the results and he brings the tracks places I couldn't have on my own and he also has some choice outboard to run things through. (Ursa Major Space Station, anyone?)

The other is that well, he has to make a living and this is what he does for that besides production! I would be an ass to try and get him to give me free time.

Also I really enjoy the process being there and I am learning a lot via this process working it out together.

That is something you really can't put a price on.
Admin
InnerPortalStudio.com - Specializing in mastering and mixdowns of electronic music.
Chain Chomp
Interesting Rhythmic Devices That Seem To Counterpoint The Surrealism Of The Underlying Metaphor. DA RIP
I do everything at an agreed flat rate, if you go over a little then you suck it up if you finish early then great. It swings & roundabouts really.
2 other things complete an invoice however.
Firstly 'extra work', this covers anything not agreed to or that falls outside the agreed timescale.
Second, 'expenses', pretty self explanatory but Ive lost count of the amount of times I find myself providing media, sundries or having to drive to collect/deliver stuff
Go to top Post Reply