As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Lounge Re:Traveling in September: Oslo - Copenhagen (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:Traveling in September: Oslo - Copenhagen
King Koopa
Traveling in September: Oslo - Copenhagen 10 Years, 10 Months ago
My girlfriend is taking me on a 2 week vacation this year for my 30th birthday. She has been planning it for a while, but just told me the locations last night. We will be landing in Oslo, Norway on September 2nd and leaving Copenhagen, Denmark on September 13th (I believe). Neither of us have ever been, and while she has some things planned, she left a lot of free time for me to find things of interest.

We were talking about hitting a music fest in west Norway (stavanger) called "numusic". They haven't released too many artist for the lineup, so I was wondering if anybody has been? We may decide not to go to the fest and use our time elsewhere. Does anybody have any recommendations for things to do? Anything a geek like me must see while I'm there? Any shows, venues, bars, etc?

Also, we have been talking about stopping in the Gothenburg area to see if we could get ourselves an elektron hq tour. Anybody had any success with this?

Any advice or ideas would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks.
D.
  The topic has been locked.
Re:Traveling in September: Oslo - Copenhagen 10 Years, 10 Months ago
Now, Trondheim is a days car trip north of Oslo, and if you for some reason decide to do that you are both more than welcome to stay at my place, we even have a guestroom (which is also my 'studio' room )

Numusic is a great little festival in Norway, I've never been but the bookings have been stellar and I've always wanted to go!

When in Oslo, the places to go for electronic (club) music are The Villa, Jæger and if you are lucky with your timing: one of the Void, Primal Behaviour or Amenta allnigher events

Of cource all the beautiful scenery in my fair country is better the further north you get, but in the limited time you have that might not be an option.

Oh, and congrats in advance!
Chain Chomp
MarsMelons - netlabel for experimental music

esmone - my drawings and cover art
NuMusic is great, and Stavanger is a beautiful little city. I can highly recommend it regardless of the line-up (which already is looking promising). Trond mentioned a couple of great clubs in Oslo, I'll add Blå and Dattera Til Hagen to that list. Also, check out Mir, a very cool bar in the heart of Grünerløkka, which usually hosts some really odd electronic music nights (look out for the 300AD crew, they're creating some awesome stuff).

If you want to see the beautiful side of Norway you should go to the western part of the country (where Stavanger incidentaly is situated), but it will probably take you some time to get there, as the roads there are quite shit.

Also, the Norwegian Museum of Science And Technology has a few really cool exhibitions every now and then, and a quite good exhibition of music instruments (including lots of old synths and whatnot). I'm actually making an EP now based on field recordings done at that place, hehe.

Also, if there's an acoustic laptop workshop when you're here, be sure to check it out, you can end up with a very cheap device creating some fantastic sounds;
http://origami.teks.no/2/2.3/2.3-boe-010-4.html

For other cultural offerings in Oslo, check out Facebook or this site;
http://www.underskog.no

Oh, and I second Trond's recommendations of the allnighters, there is no party as good as a Primal Behaviour party in Oslo!
Admin
Highly recommend taking the Flam railway which is out west -- goes up through some mountains. When I went (a long time ago!) we took a fjord tour from near Bergen and got dropped off in this tiny town where we hopped on the Flam train/railway...wound it's way up, up, up to a station where passengers were being picked up by folks on snowmobiles(!)...then down and across snow covered plains to Oslo.

It's one of the most vivid memories I have from the three months I lived abroad. The water streaming down the mountains was old and blue...

http://www.visitflam.com/flam-railway/
Cappy
I live in Copenhagen
Hit me up when you get here and I'll help you out with a few places to go!
We have a fab underground electronic venue with an octophonic speakersystem hanging in a circle, and the audience in the middle.... Some of the acts that play there mix their music on that sytem.... Sound from all around you .... And some pretty decent musicians... Anybody know the band : System ? They were on Scape music..... That crowd!
Anyho - depending on the weather - and what happens on the music scene in the time you spend here.... Copenhagen can be a truly wonderfull city.... I wont even hazzle you for drinks or anything - enjoy your time with the miss and I'll be appy to help you out on mail, or here..... And if youre curious, I live in one of the greatest neighbourhoods in town, with lots of stuff happening.... Oh - and I have an Elektron based studio at home
Peace
Daffydub
King Koopa
Thanks to everybody so far for the suggestions.

I heard back from elektron and they denied me a tour because "we have too many awesome prototypes laying around."

I may try to bust up in there anyway. Haha.

As it gets closer, I will get contact info for anybody wanting to meet up.

Thanks again,
D.
Go to top Post Reply