As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Re:i need a new drum machine,,,,,,, like yesterday uhmm kayyyy (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:i need a new drum machine,,,,,,, like yesterday uhmm kayyyy
Chain Chomp
Re:i need a new drum machine,,,,,,, like yesterday uhmm kayyyy 10 Years, 8 Months ago
I have a dancing bear on the way and will definitely be making some demo vids.
  The topic has been locked.
Chain Chomp
A man's opportunities are never exhausted so long as other men (who are not his friends) possess millions of acres and thousands of tons of gold.
Re:i need a new drum machine,,,,,,, like yesterday uhmm kayyyy 10 Years, 8 Months ago
i think i decided to get the xbase 999, vermona, or tanzbar,

i had the vermona before, loved it, had the jomox mbase 01, loved that too,

the tanz seem to have a ton of features though,,,,

the volca beats looks good cause its cheap

by the way,'

if anyone wants to trade an mfb or part a vermona for a desktop evolver, i am looking for that trade.
ortiza2007 wrote:

Please do! There are basically no demos of the Tanzbär anywhere, particularly not in someone's hands who knows what he's doing, just someone going through the (crappy) preset patterns, with the levels of the instruments all over the place.
dionysiananarchy wrote:
i think i decided to get the xbase 999, vermona, or tanzbar,

I've had both the 999 and Vermona, and I'm buying the Tanzbär in 6 weeks or so.

Out of those, I least liked the Jomox. Sounds good (but not awesome) on isolation, but impossible (at least in my hands) to make good music with, as it steals away pretty much the whole low frequency spectrum, it's a mixing nightmare. When I had it, people were ALWAYS complaining I had crappy sounding drums, and it was just stuff coming out of the Jomox's stereo outputs, so it wasn't even my sucky mixing skills.

The Vermona was good, and many people complimented that my drums improved a lot after I got it. However, despite all the knobs, it's not really THAT editable, as it has a very narrow sweet spot in my opinion. It also doesn't sound like old school analog, ie. each hit isn't slightly different from the rest, so it's very easily replaced with a bunch of Vermona samples.

The Tanzbär, judging from the few (bad) demos sounds a lot more interesting than either of the two and like I said, I'm getting one in six weeks or so. I'm not expecting it to be a monster like a 909 or an 808, just a good, basic drum machine that fits my needs.
Chain Chomp
+1 for Tanzbar demos, there is nothing out there, thought they would be all over the place by now...
Boo
Yeah I think the Tanzbar is gonna be a big winner. It isn't trying to be anything else- finally, an analog drum machine made without emulating 80s Rolands as a top priority.

I have an Airbase99 and it sounds amazing, but you can never shake the feeling it's just a (very good) attempt to be a different (more) vintage piece of gear. Plus, as a poster said above, it's a mix destroyer (unless it's the only percussion you are planning to use- MD+Airbase sounds great live with a good mixer and very fine EQ adjustments, but try getting a usable recording- YEESH).

MFB freed themselves to focus on sound design for THEIR hardware rather than forcing their hardware into emulating other harware. Plus, I don't think there's an analog drum machine out there that will compliment Elektron stuff better, functionality wise- the sequencer and parameter changes could-possibly- be midi synced to changes on the MD or OT- keeping your digi/analog percussion section consistent and evolving). Only concern I have (which only in-person, live demos will alleviate) is the kicks- you never know with analog kicks until you plug it into your mixer and let your monitors tell you all about them.

Worst case- Jomox MBase midi synced to the Tanzbar's kicks with the filter freq.'ed up and less decay and a touch more sustain. No THAT would be a KICK!.

Can't wait for demos from Elektron-User folk!
Killer Beez
3 brown dogs barking at each other....
ortiza2007 wrote:

Where from mate? Had one pre ordered from schneiders for about 2 months but started to loose faith a while back.

Thinking of getting an urzwurg mk2 to compliment it.
Chain Chomp
I ordered it directly from MFB.
Go to top Post Reply