As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Re:MPC 1000 or MD? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:MPC 1000 or MD?
Goomba
MPC 1000 or MD? 10 Years, 8 Months ago
Ok. I bought my first analog synth. A4. Loving it. Now i need some drums, cause i am planing to play live.
I am not a synthesis guy, and i imagine myself just importing the Goldbaby samples in the mpc, and really cant see my self making sounds. And i actually dont know why would i need so many synthesis options when it comes to drums. I prefer TR sounds all the way (altough i am loving mfb type of drum computers). So, should i just skip MD?
  The topic has been locked.
Cappy
Re:MPC 1000 or MD? 10 Years, 8 Months ago
I still have a NI maschine (which I consider as some kind of MPC).. which is collecting dust since I own an MDUW

reason for purchasing the MD was that I really wanted to synthesise my own sounds. The sample library coming with Maschine is obscenely huge and good - and it felt like cheating as I never got to shape my own sounds.. ha. I miss the finger drumming bit though.. so by the sound of it you might as well skip the MD
Goomba
Yeah, i think so... I'll deffinitelly skip it, as i'm not into synthesizing drums at all.
And maschine is out of question. No computers for me ... no more
The MPC is a great-sounding sampler & midi hub - great complement to an analogue or va synth (I have a monomachine next to mine).

Combine an MPC with the A4 & you will have the fun of two different-styled sequencers to play off against each other (synced or not).

It's worth checking out the much-improved free jjos 3.x for MPC 1000/2500.
Goomba
Are you not considering the Octatrack?

If I were in your boat it would be the Octatrack over the MPC1000.

I've owned both and sold the MPC1000 as the workflow didn't really gel with me. I find the OT more immediate due to the x0x style sequencer.

The Octatrack + Goldbaby Samples = the only drum machine you'll ever need (if you don't want to synthesize your own hits )
Cappy
the OT not being polyphonic puts it in a very dark drum machine corner don't you think?
Goomba
tasmansea wrote:
the OT not being polyphonic puts it in a very dark drum machine corner don't you think?

Not at all. It is not polyphonic but with P-locking samples and 8 tracks, it might as well be.

Unless the OP wants to make super rhythmically complicated, progressive, beat-oriented tracks, the OT will blow any other drum machine out of the water.
Goomba
i am not really into grasping OT, i need to start working fast, and the jjos 128xl has some nice step sequencer in it
Cappy
If you like stepsequencing, the MPC has two huge disadvantages:
- The 16 Pads are not in a row (this IS confusing!)
- The Pads don't have individual status LEDs.

So if you want stepsequencing, you won't get lucky with an mpc!

On the other side: If you want live sequencing, you won't get lucky with an elektron box.
Go to top Post Reply