As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Allen and Heath Zed R16 second major problem (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Allen and Heath Zed R16 second major problem
Chain Chomp
http://soundcloud.com/pixelife
Allen and Heath Zed R16 second major problem 11 Years, 6 Months ago
Ok so about a year ago I had a major problem with my A+H Zed R16 which was less than a year old. Lots of fader and pan pot issues, then one day it just went kaput with some weird power issues and non firewire connectivity.

The non firewire connectivity thing just happened again and a bunch of the lights on the mixer are flickering and weird. Fuck. This is so frustrating! I actually love this mixer since it fits my process really well, but this is ridiculous for a 2000 dollar mixer. Anyone else have any issues like this?

I know they fabricate everything in China now, but can it really be that bad?
  The topic has been locked.
Chain Chomp
Re:Allen and Heath Zed R16 second major problem 11 Years, 6 Months ago
Also interesting to note. Last November when I brought it in to be serviced to a major repair place here in NYC (dBm) they had just gotten another same unit in w major issues. When I picked it back up (after a month) the guy at the front desk said my repair invoice read like a novel and he had never seen notations that extensive before.
Killer Beez
That is not good news. I got one for the studio at work. It had a major power supply issue on first test (auto techno mode via repetitive power cycling ) but got fixed ok. It's been in the box for months waiting for a new pc to bring everything up to speed. There was also a bit of a round the houses communication between myself a+h and iirc harman uk but digital village got it fixed pretty sharpish.

Fingers crossed when I upgrade the studio next week it doesn't go barmy. It sucks watching warranty time go by with it sitting in the box.

It's the best featured desk interface ever. Anyone else had issues?
Chain Chomp
I'm curious too. Where there is smoke, there is fire. I'm mostly annoyed because this console has allowed me to work in the way I always wanted to, which is live jamming to multitrack and all outboard sequencing. In the end I'm just really sad about this. Yes, I expected more out of a 2400 dollar investment, and it is the centerpiece of my studio so I am crippled without it.

I guess there are other options, the Yamaha w FW. Or maybe a board with lightpipe. The option of going vintage w direct outs into a pair of MOTU 828's or similar seems too annoying. That was the whole reason I went w the A+H Zed
Admin
tIB was here
Sorry to hear this, always thought that if I went back to multitracking into the computer this would be the way Id do it... Maybe not though it seems. Is there much out there in regards to problems from other owners?

Hope you get it sorted quickly pixelife.
Cappy
Re:Allen and Heath Zed R16 second major problem 11 Years, 1 Month ago
Hi,

Resurrecting this thread as my Zed R16 has just today developed the same problem...no Firewire connectivity, no meter leds at all and dull mute leds all over the place.

How did you get on with having yours repaired? Was it a power supply issue or another problem??

Gutted, I love this desk and have had no problems up until this one..
Commiseration's indeed. I'm also a user(mac) - and loving it - and have not had any such problems. What platform are you on?
Commiseration's indeed. I'm also a user(mac) - and loving it - and have not had any such problems. What platform are you on?
Chain Chomp
Here's the update of what went down with mine.

The second time it was just the power supply. Firewire seemed to be fine once check out, but obviously wouldn't connect without adequate power. First time is was both PSU and FW.

A+H USA was backordered 8 weeks for PSU's so this must be a rampant problem.

They pulled one out of a demo unit to expedite my repair.

After many back and forths with their reps and after my manager/label owner/lawyer threatening to tell all his artists and friends to never buy an A+H product, they decided to fix it for free, before which they said, "sorry, you're out of luck. Gonna cost you."

Just heard of another friend in the group Juju and Jordash just had it happen to him, as well.

I'm now running mine through a Monster Power Pro3500. It seems that it is VERY sensitive to power fluctuations. So far, so good since.
Chain Chomp
Sadly there is nothing else in the price range that does what this board can do. The Mackie just doesn't cut it for me.

The only thing even remotely close is the Midas Venice F, but that is twice the price.
Go to top Post Reply