As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Your Music Re:how can i release an album? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:how can i release an album?
Chain Chomp
Electron Full Arsenal
http://soundcloud.com/orys
how can i release an album? 11 Years, 11 Months ago
Hi there!

Is it possible to release an album?
How do i do that?
Does it have to be very good to be able to release it?
Is there money involved in releasing something?
Do i have to pay someone?

Very interested to know from the pros.

Cheers
Tio
  The topic has been locked.
Re:how can i release an album? 11 Years, 11 Months ago
Do you mean a release that costs money to the customers? Anyone can release an album for free online, without cost. There's tons of sites like that.

Or do you mean a physical release, like vinyl or CD? That's gonna cost a bit of money of course, unless you find a record label that's interested in releasing it.
DIY is easy. Online is the modern Way to do things. however it is a very fickle and and oversaturated time to realese a full length album. I personally think that the ep is the way to go. At least till you gather a following. You could always get some cd-r copied and hand them out to friends or sell them. I've always wanted my own music on vinal.
Game & Watch
MD UW+, OT, MnM UW+
dubathonic releases
fb
Glad you're thinking about this Orys...you record a lot of good stuff

Releasing music is one thing, promoting and/or selling it effectively is another. Your initial costs for doing both can range from very little to thousands of dollars, depending on your fan base, the format you choose, and how much work you need other people to do.

In one sense you've already "released" collections of your music on Soundcloud, so now is a good time to consider what your next goals are. For example: Are you trying to find gigs? Gain online fans? Sell your music at shows? Get DJs to spin your tracks? Find a label to release and promote your music for you? Etc.

Considering these questions can help you figure out the best approach. It's fun but can take a lot of time and effort, so think about what will get you closer to your goals.
Im in the same boat, Im about to release an EP, getting 100 cds made for 900 bucks. THe internet makes me feel lost in the mix though. sometimes i hate that its so easy for people to post up thosands of songs but at the saem time i get to hear alot of stuff i would never hear otherwise. I plan on using the cd s im getting done to mainly hand out at gigs, sure ill lose money now but i fugure in the long run ill gain fans that will maybe buy my music down the road.
100 cd's for $900?? That's too much. You should be able to get 1000 for around $1050. Check Discmakers and try to haggle a lower price, I got them to pay shipping couple of times. Also, I know giving your music away for free is what everyone thinks they have to do, but think about making the download free, but charge $5 for the CD's at shows. $5 is reasonable and then the people who bought have invested in your CD and will most likely actually listen to it and enjoy it, plus you maybe make a few extra bucks. Getting free CD's I often just kinda throw em in the car and maybe listen to them. Especially if you are only getting 100 you should charge for them.
Typo.... i ment 1000 for 900$
sputnikviper wrote:
100 cd's for $900?? That's too much. You should be able to get 1000 for around $1050. Check Discmakers and try to haggle a lower price, I got them to pay shipping couple of times. Also, I know giving your music away for free is what everyone thinks they have to do, but think about making the download free, but charge $5 for the CD's at shows. $5 is reasonable and then the people who bought have invested in your CD and will most likely actually listen to it and enjoy it, plus you maybe make a few extra bucks. Getting free CD's I often just kinda throw em in the car and maybe listen to them. Especially if you are only getting 100 you should charge for them.

I know what you are saying about charging but on the other hand people are stingy and i would rather someone get a cd then leave the show empty handed because they didnt want to spend the money. i think the free download thing has made people not want to buy cds as much but i could be wrong. Basically at this point i just want people to hear my music.
Yoshi
Look at my stuff, and help me obtain my burger
Clips and videos
I like cd's better then downloads.. cause its something...
so one day when i am finished with my things.. i prob get a cd published
and a dvd with my videos.. sell m on ebay for peanuts..
Chain Chomp
Electron Full Arsenal
http://soundcloud.com/orys
I'm not looking into selling buddy. i just want people to listen to what i do.
A CD is something i would hand out to friends, relatives, etc.
I don't see myself as a pro.
I believe my music is mediocre because i don't take it very very seriously.
i sit and play then i master a bit.
I don't make corrections to it that much.
Whatever you hear is what i played those few minutes.
On soundcloud i don't have much following.
i don't just add 1 thousand people just so they add me too to get promoted.
what shall i do?

is my music so shitty that it hasn't ever been on a damn compilation?
i would pay to get a song of mine on a compilation CD.
Go to top Post Reply